Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Firewood parade! 1/2 of a 5' diameter red oak came down last night, blocking a professional office parking lot and driveway access to 2 homes. The people from the office cut it enough to get cars through yesterday and posted free wood today. I offered to take all the brush and in return they helped to deliver the wood 3 miles to my house. 15 truck loads total. I did most of the cutting and they loaded most of it with several teens helping. My wife brought DQ Blizzards for everyone after 2 trips. I'm going to be working up firewood for days to come.
View attachment 759534
That’s cool to get the help!

That’s cool to get the help!
For sure! They asked several times if I wanted all of the brush - I was happy to trade burning that for the labor to load and deliver the wood.. Apparently another guy offered a place to dump if they delivered it, but they choose the guy that was willing to be right there helping. And that other guy has no firewood now, does he?

One of the younger kids asked if this was my job. I told him no, this is just a hobby.

They asked if I was willing to take down the rest of the tree. It is close enough to hit the building, main road, and driveway so I declined. Plus it's 5' diameter. But I can come back to pick up the wood once it's on the ground.

Had over an hour rain delay this afternoon but got the second load tossed in. Was bit/stung by something on the back of my arm when cutting the second load but never saw what and the bitten area quickly went back to normal. I carefully checked for ground wasp nests and there were none.

F4E36DA4-CCD0-4AA4-9E46-D5A999104C8E.jpeg

Was turning around in the yard and was suddenly stuck. If you guys remember I had the rented skid steer a while back and apparently the one spot where I had removed a rock didn’t get packed down because my rear wheel sunk deep!

D2FBCFB8-DB70-42DE-AAA0-843CE9C6D442.jpeg

Used the wheelbarrow to bring the wood over to the racks and after the truck was empty I was able to walk the truck out. Will need to grab some gravel to fill that rut!

Uglies
CDAC2FE2-FC15-4ACC-B314-7F2948D3E339.jpeg

Firewood parade! 1/2 of a 5' diameter red oak came down last night, blocking a professional office parking lot and driveway access to 2 homes. The people from the office cut it enough to get cars through yesterday and posted free wood today. I offered to take all the brush and in return they helped to deliver the wood 3 miles to my house. 15 truck loads total. I did most of the cutting and they loaded most of it with several teens helping. My wife brought DQ Blizzards for everyone after 2 trips. I'm going to be working up firewood for days to come.
View attachment 759534
Now that’s lucky! Are you sure that’s red oak? Leaves look like a type of white oak to me, if so it makes it even better luck!

Now that’s lucky! Are you sure that’s red oak? Leaves look like a type of white oak to me, if so it makes it even better luck!
Well... I thought it was white oak also based on the leaves, but it splits easily and the wood looks/smells like red oak. Maybe a mix or hybrid?

Well... I thought it was white oak also based on the leaves, but it splits easily and the wood looks/smells like red oak. Maybe a mix or hybrid?
Post of some more pics of the leaves. If I had to guess, I would say bur oak, which is in the white oak family.

I’ll tell you what. Cutting off a log pile is easy and productive but it sure makes my back hurt from bending over!

The load I’m doing today is all big pine logs (not in a pile) which will be a nice break then I have one more cord of birch logs in a pile to work up. The aspen after that is off the ground so it will be easier to cut.

Post of some more pics of the leaves. If I had to guess, I would say bur oak, which is in the white oak family.
I believe you are correct! That's what my tree book says too. White oak is a little better on the Btu charts, but the best part of this wood is it's easy to split. I would take that over a few percent higher heat content. The white oak I've had before was tougher to split. That does make my score even better though. :clap:20190915_082901.jpg 20190915_085755.jpg 20190915_091227.jpg

I believe you are correct! That's what my tree book says too. White oak is a little better on the Btu charts, but the best part of this wood is it's easy to split. I would take that over a few percent higher heat content. The white oak I've had before was tougher to split. That does make my score even better though. :clap:View attachment 759614 View attachment 759615 View attachment 759616
Yeah man that’s some score you got! Definitely Bur oak. The bark is a dead give away too. 5 foot diameter trunk, that tree must of been a 100ft tall. Leave no rounds left behind! I wouldn’t burn that wood for at least 2 years, so you get the full potential out of it. White oak and hickory are my favorites. Well done sir!

I’ll tell you what. Cutting off a log pile is easy and productive but it sure makes my back hurt from bending over!

The load I’m doing today is all big pine logs (not in a pile) which will be a nice break then I have one more cord of birch logs in a pile to work up. The aspen after that is off the ground so it will be easier to cut.
You need to get a longer "blade" so you don't have to bend down!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Spent about 6 hours in the old man's woodlot yesterday felling and bucking a single dead ash. I'm going to need a bigger trailer than the little John Deere ATV unit I've been using. That or widen the trail so I can get a pickup back here. Some of these rounds have to weigh 100 lbs each.

Consistently impressed with the MS 261's bucking capabilities, that little guy rips. Couldn't have gotten that last butt round without the 28" bar on my MS 461 though :heart:

59018245207__968FB204-1448-4061-94FF-EB36199EFF55.jpg 2F4494D7-F552-41F2-90B8-9EC5216D227B.jpg

I believe you are correct! That's what my tree book says too. White oak is a little better on the Btu charts, but the best part of this wood is it's easy to split. I would take that over a few percent higher heat content. The white oak I've had before was tougher to split. That does make my score even better though. :clap:View attachment 759614 View attachment 759615 View attachment 759616
I had a farmer give me some big White Oak logs when I was a kid. A logger came in and cut them in 12' lengths, for whiskey barrel staves, took one trailer load out, came back, took all of his equipment and left. Farmer said the bottom fell out of the market, and if he let them sit till it started to swing back up, the logs would be no good. With a log on it's side, they came right to my arm pit. Our Ford F600 had 6 foot steel sides so I couldn't let anything hang over. Two logs would not fit side buy side. We cut our firewood at 24" then, so I cut the 12' logs in half and rolled them down the middle of the truck, could only get 3 on it. most White Oak I've split has been a bit stringy. Not this stuff, at 24", I split every stick with a 4lb ax. Started on the out side and just kept walking in circles around it. The surprising thing was the wood was bright pink, but after just a few hours it turned white. Never got into a White Oak that split like that stuff did since.

Spent about 6 hours in the old man's woodlot yesterday felling and bucking a single dead ash. I'm going to need a bigger trailer than the little John Deere ATV unit I've been using. That or widen the trail so I can get a pickup back here. Some of these rounds have to weigh 100 lbs each.

Consistently impressed with the MS 261's bucking capabilities, that little guy rips. Couldn't have gotten that last butt round without the 28" bar on my MS 461 though :heart:

View attachment 759627 View attachment 759620
461 and 261 is the ultimate 2 saw plan imo. Personally I would widen the trail, especially if your hauling it out of your fathers property to process it. Too much handling of the wood if your loading and unloading that many times.

I had a farmer give me some big White Oak logs when I was a kid. A logger came in and cut them in 12' lengths, for whiskey barrel staves, took one trailer load out, came back, took all of his equipment and left. Farmer said the bottom fell out of the market, and if he let them sit till it started to swing back up, the logs would be no good. With a log on it's side, they came right to my arm pit. Our Ford F600 had 6 foot steel sides so I couldn't let anything hang over. Two logs would not fit side buy side. We cut our firewood at 24" then, so I cut the 12' logs in half and rolled them down the middle of the truck, could only get 3 on it. most White Oak I've split has been a bit stringy. Not this stuff, at 24", I split every stick with a 4lb ax. Started on the out side and just kept walking in circles around it. The surprising thing was the wood was bright pink, but after just a few hours it turned white. Never got into a White Oak that split like that stuff did since.

It’s an unmistakable sweet smell too.

Back