Case Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did years back but didn't like the bending forces on the case and the loads on the bar studs. No reason for concern, many people use them, just my concern for vintage cases.

Last month I made this based on the Husqv design. China copies of Husqv splitter are $55 on amazon, but I wanted adjustable width to use on mc cases also, and adjustable height for the push screw as in some cases I can't get the tips down far enough to be directly in line with the screw. Plated would have been better, as painted means paint chips can come off into the case, but since it is a take apart tool, not a put together tool, it is fine.

1/4 x 2 and 2-1/2 flat as that is what I had handy. 3/4 threaded rod, Hex njut tacked on end and hole drilled to turn with screwdriver or rod, countersink hole in the push end, and use a loose bearing ball sized as needed to mate into the crankshaft center point. ties between sides are 3/8 threaded rod. The long leg was just dropoff I never cut off as it was handy to clamp in a vise.

Attachments

• IMG_0225.JPG
    IMG_0225.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0226.JPG
    IMG_0226.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0227.JPG
    IMG_0227.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0228.JPG
    IMG_0228.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0229.JPG
    IMG_0229.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
I made mine out of scrap I had laying around and wish I had made the side plates thinner and out of a more malleable steel, those are hard stainless welded to cut out from old brake rotors. The side plates have to be bent in and out depending on size of crank to line up with the back of the bearing races. Next one I make I'll probably try some 3/16 softer steel for the sides.

Cut mine out with an angle grinder and die grinder. If I was billing for my time it would've been cheaper to buy. I had all the pieces, so that one didn't cost me a dime. Works perfectly for now and just cost me some free time. Some day when the hardened side plates are bent back and forth enough they will snap, but chances are I won't use it enough myself to make that happen.

Old post but in case anyone is looking to save on high retail cost...Huztl has splitters on sale for $22 + shipping
Just bought one. So far pleased with it. It's heavier than I anticipated

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Old post but in case anyone is looking to save on high retail cost...Huztl has splitters on sale for $22 + shipping
do you have a link to those 22$ splitters from Hutzl?
Most of Huskies splitters cost 30-40$ with the new Husky prices, not like 60-100$ as we where used to before.
Husqvarna has also cut down the crank mounting tool kit prices, by alot, they used to cost 30-50$, new prices is 13-17$ a kit.

Back