Stihl 038 mag Help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacG1986

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all, I have an older 038 mag, the fuel tank split across the bottom. I got a new tank/handle assembly and had it replaced. Before this work was done the saw ran fine. Now it only starts if dump fuel in the carburetor. I didn't do the work, and I don't trust the person who did. What could he have done to cause this problem and how could I get it starting normally again. Any advice would be appreciated.

The choke. It's inside air filter. If linkage does not engage it correctly it won't close. Chances are the new tank assy does not have linkage on correct, or new tank does not fit linkage correctly.

I am assuming saw runs O.K. once you get it going?

Is tank OEM or a knockoff? Is linkage original or did it come with the tank?

Edit: if changing a tank I'd either use new impulse/fuel lines or inspect them well along with intake boot. Also check that the metal "washer", which fits at carb/intake boot interface is there.

Why don't you trust the person who did the work?

Mad Prof, yah once it's running it runs fine, just like it did before. But sense the tank replacement it just won't start unless you dump fuel in the carb. It's an aftermarket take assembly, it came with the linkage, the choke seems to be operating just fine, but it could be off some, I don't know enough to know exactly how it works. It is an old saw and I'm sure he didn't replace the fuel lines on it so hopefully it's that.

Mad Prof, yah once it's running it runs fine, just like it did before. But sense the tank replacement it just won't start unless you dump fuel in the carb. It's an aftermarket take assembly, it came with the linkage, the choke seems to be operating just fine, but it could be off some, I don't know enough to know exactly how it works. It is an old saw and I'm sure he didn't replace the fuel lines on it so hopefully it's that.
Choke isn’t closing.

Choke is inside air filter. It closes with a linkage to your throttle linkage. See if linkage is engaging the lever on air filter, and if so pushing lever to close choke, ALL the way.

They can also stay shut if spring inside AF does not open choke, that is not your issue, then it runs like a POS after starting.

IPL might help. I have shop manual but too big to post

Take off Air Filter assy and split the halves, then you will see how choke works, or don't work.

When AF goes back on, all the parts inside need to be right, then throttle linkage needs to open the choke inside, via the lever/linkage.

This can be a PITA, but when set up right, 2 or 3 pulls and it starts.

good luck

Attachments

• Stihl 038 IPL new.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
What troubles me is if you paid someone else to replace all these parts you'd think that they would verify that the saw starts after.

Anytime I work on someone else's saw I make damn sure it runs perfect before it leaves my workshop. Maybe I'm just old fashioned..

If the tank is aftermarket they are well known for choke issues on that saw. Hopefully you kept your old parts cause you can swap out the choke linkage and I would bet that saw starts properly after.

I agree with you, your a proper business man, I figured he would have made sure that saw ran too. But he didn't. Okay good to know I'll see about the old linkage.

I agree with you, your a proper business man, I figured he would have made sure that saw ran too. But he didn't. Okay good to know I'll see about the old linkage.

I'm not a saw business at all. Sheetmetal is my game.

I guess like I said I'm old fashioned.

At a shop/dealer, ask for all your used/replaced parts back.

I' m just myself, and I save them too. Sometimes well used OEM is better than knockoffs.

I've got a bunch of running 038M and 038S to 038M conversions. But also a few cartons of parts carcasses, parts, good parts (clean cranks, crankcases, P/C assys, carbs, ignitions). I usually don't need a dealer to fix things. I also keep the chainsaw rubber stuff for those and gasket/carb kits.

I'm still under $1200 for the 038 saws, half a dozen runners and parts new and used.

Carb....if you have means to vac test the fuel line on the carb do it. There’s a needle valve that can stick, and when it does it will dump fuel in the crank whether the saws running or not. Had it happen, when it does it enough it will hydro lock the engine and you will eventually get to the point it will either a. Not turn over or b. Shear the flywheel key.

Latest posts

Back