Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent about 6 hours in the old man's woodlot yesterday felling and bucking a single dead ash. I'm going to need a bigger trailer than the little John Deere ATV unit I've been using. That or widen the trail so I can get a pickup back here. Some of these rounds have to weigh 100 lbs each.

Consistently impressed with the MS 261's bucking capabilities, that little guy rips. Couldn't have gotten that last butt round without the 28" bar on my MS 461 though :heart:

View attachment 759627 View attachment 759620
I was going to say it looked more like Tulip Poplar to me with the greenish heart wood. But, the stump cut looks like Ash. Here's a big Ash that snapped in half on a friends farm, they look pretty close. Wish there was a leaf.
A8cg8nQ.jpg

u4pTS0p.jpg

WfXxiVo.jpg

The heat is back here in NJ and I’m at the point where I only cut and process wood in weather that I can enjoy doing it, the colder the better. So for now it’s saw maintenance and chain sharpening. Here is the 660 with the 32 inch bar ready to go when it cools back down. Sharpened 2, 32 inch loops and 2, 28 inch loops

0D3C7B15-238E-4AEF-A0B0-A00D97F4ED35.jpeg

The heat is back here in NJ and I’m at the point where I only cut and process wood in weather that I can enjoy doing it, the colder the better. So for now it’s saw maintenance and chain sharpening. Here is the 660 with the 32 inch bar ready to go when it cools back down. Sharpened 2, 32 inch loops and 2, 28 inch loops

View attachment 759649
That’s a purty blade you’ve got.

That’s a purty blade you’ve got.
I’m one of those fools that cleans everything if I’m not going to use it again within the next week or two. I remove bar, clean bar and chain with simple green, grind chain. Blow off saw with compressed air, clean air filter, dump fuel, wipe it down, etc etc.

Keeps em looking purty, and me happy the next time I reach for it.

I’m one of those fools that cleans everything if I’m not going to use it again within the next week or two. I remove bar, clean bar and chain with simple green, grind chain. Blow off saw with compressed air, clean air filter, dump fuel, wipe it down, etc etc.

Keeps em looking purty, and me happy the next time I reach for it.
I know a guy that dove for treasure with Mel Fisher. He has a bunch of rum bottles that came off the fleet of 1812. He said before they open a bottle they stick a needle through the cork and draw a sample of the air from inside. They can learn a lot about the past from the air sample. When he saw one of my saws he said he was going to send one of the scientists over to take a sample of saw dust off one, they could learn a lot from analyzing the wood samples from 1000 years ago.

I know a guy that dove for treasure with Mel Fisher. He has a bunch of rum bottles that came off the fleet of 1812. He said before they open a bottle they stick a needle through the cork and draw a sample of the air from inside. They can learn a lot about the past from the air sample. When he saw one of my saws he said he was going to send one of the scientists over to take a sample of saw dust off one, they could learn a lot from analyzing the wood samples from 1000 years ago.
:laughing::laughing::laughing::thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

Well it went from cool and overcast to warm and sunny. Says 66 is official temp but feels hotter.

Got into noodling and probably have a truckload ready to go so far. On my last chain and I doubt I’ll be able to process enough to fill the truck and trailer so may just load the truck and go watch football.

Had to flip the “blade” over on the homie as the bottom according to the letters is pretty worn. Cuts much better flipped.

This crotch piece under the saw is probably the densest pine I’ve ever cut. Loaded with sap too.
04D7C63E-3D4F-426F-96C9-56EB7CFC0448.jpeg 6D223612-CA76-4DBA-B625-4EDFF298A1ED.jpeg

The frequency thrown off by the lower revving Homelite must irritate the snakes as I’ve seen three of them already. They just sit there when I’m cutting with the Husky.
E8B1FF60-6350-4AC7-9684-F2CF4C0D354B.jpeg

Got to take my heavy set lady out tonight.[emoji847] The stereotypes are always so true. The heavy ones really go at your wood hard and they are just plane better at it.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]......[emoji6]
70dd4a530d732a23fe0657200dca36f3.jpg

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Got to take may heavy set lady out tonight.[emoji847] The stereotypes are always so true. The heavy ones really go at your wood hard and they are just plane better at it.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]......[emoji6]
70dd4a530d732a23fe0657200dca36f3.jpg

Either way your wood is going to burn later on. Ouch. worth it but still...practice safe splitting please.

Well , was gonna go to that lot to drop more not spruce today but it rained this morning and when it stopped at 11am the humidity stayed at 95% so it was a sauna even at 65 :(
By 2 it wasn't bad so I went to the undisclosed location to block up some of that 4' stuff that we brought from the lot .
The Ryobi 2.0 worked fine , got 3 tanks in it today :)

20190915_164614_HDR.jpg 20190915_164642_HDR.jpg

Either way your wood is going to burn later on. Ouch. worth it but still...

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Good one man!![emoji1303][emoji1303]

Had to get me some fast drying wood. This maple should do just fine. About 21” DBH and about 75 feet tall.

09e9205523a3d3f80ada8eb3e4e8eeeb.jpg
a48b69424c74016466aff09d2cb266f2.jpg

Get it split up and you should be good .
It amazed me how little moisture was in the maples I dropped last month .
I'm surprised that I've never noticed that before .

Back