String trimmer upgrade?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie294life

Brush Popper and Amateur Tree Butcher
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have a Tanaka trimmer I bought mainly for the attachments. At 25cc it’s okay but not anywhere near beastly. I need to cut some pretty tall weeds and light brush sometimes. The Tanaka chugs and chugs, but it always seems to be living a pretty hard life, and I can’t help but think that I could get done faster. It gets pretty hot, almost to the point bacon could fry off it sometimes. Does anyone have good ideas for something that has got some torque, and is also “very” smooth? I don’t care to get rattled to death. I also absolutely cannot stand the new 4 mix style stihls. If I’m going to buy a two stroke I also want to be able to work on it. I had one apart the other day for one of my family members and wasn’t all that impressed.

Totally agree with you on the 4-stroke Stihl string trimmers. I had one, but once I used it for awhile I knew it was time to send it down the road.
Keep a lookout for a Stihl FS85, it's not current productions but parts are easily available. That's my go to trimmer, but I have a FS250 if things really get tough.

Totally agree with you on the 4-stroke Stihl string trimmers. I had one, but once I used it for awhile I knew it was time to send it down the road.
Keep a lookout for a Stihl FS85, it's not current productions but parts are easily available. That's my go to trimmer, but I have a FS250 if things really get tough.
I saw a 250 come up on CL about 2 years ago for 150$ somebody beat me to it. I could go for one, are they pretty smooth. The new version is expensive I do know that.

Back