MS391 not feeling well..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a MS391 that the previous owner had run of straight fuel and it has suffered.. One of the mains had virtually collapsed, the seals shot, piston and cylinder in poor shape indeed..
Anyway, I priced up a new cylinder and piston.. Wow!! Expensive..
Does anyone know if there are aftermarket pistons and cylinders available for this saw?

Whilst we are on the subject of the MS391, would anyone be kind enough to forward a copy of the IPL?

Thanks in advance..

Hi all,
I have a MS391 that the previous owner had run of straight fuel and it has suffered.. One of the mains had virtually collapsed, the seals shot, piston and cylinder in poor shape indeed..
Does anyone know if there are aftermarket pistons and cylinders available for this saw?

Whilst we are on the subject of the MS391, would anyone be kind enough to forward a copy of the IPL?

Thanks in advance..
@ray benson for the IPL

New seals, bearings possibly, clean up the cylinder, new piston and that would put it back going good as they are fairly easy to work on. If you are not to familiar just take pictures as you tear it down.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance..
Check your inbox for the ipl and service manual

New seals, bearings possibly, clean up the cylinder, new piston and that would put it back going good as they are fairly easy to work on. If you are not to familiar just take pictures as you tear it down.
Hi,
Unfortunately, I probably painted a better picture than it is.. The Clutch side bearing collapsed completely when the crank came out of the case and I have added a couple of photos of the Piston and inside the cylinder.. The cylinder has a very large scrape around the transfer ports, but doesn't extend any further up the bore..
Worth saving?

Attachments

• 20190913_230418.jpg
    20190913_230418.jpg
    534.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20190913_230430.jpg
    20190913_230430.jpg
    457.5 KB · Views: 15
You have a parts saw. A lot of demand for that saws parts as they are very expensive.... I would part it out or sell as a parts saw and find a good MS290 or MS390 as what you may get out of the parts will buy one almost and you will have a better saw.

Back