Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neighbor stopped to chat as I was cutting and the next thing I knew it was 3:00. Since my second chain was already getting dull from noodling I loaded the truck but not trailer and called it a day.

BC97507A-BAC7-4A3B-B9E7-D2D9FCD6350A.jpeg

Still have this much left to noodle/quarter so will almost have another full truck and trailer load.
F0B10181-A702-476E-A3E0-3C052CB0F9B9.jpeg

Did a “blade” retirement on the little saw. This was originally part of a Tri-Link b+c combo that I bought for 15 bucks when I needed to rescue the other bar out of a pinched tree. So even though it only lasted for somewhere between 25-30 cords it still certainly earned it’s keep. I’ll mark it and hang it in the shed in case I ever need to rescue a bar again.
45EAF42D-77F4-4D21-89B1-2F4C0F9D715D.jpeg

Oh, and the grape Pedialyte kept me hydrated and feeling like he man. :)

Get it split up and you should be good .
It amazed me how little moisture was in the maples I dropped last month .
I'm surprised that I've never noticed that before .

I agree. it makes a big difference if you cut it down in the late fall or winter but the last few I cut down we’re always late fall and the wood was definitely ready to burn in about 8 months after it was split and stacked

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Some of the live boxelder I just cut is half dry already. Red heart turned white. Especially one log that was mostly off the ground. No doubt if I run short I'll be able to burn some of that this spring.

Have a few smaller ones I sprayed 3 years ago that should come down. Low hanging fruit.

Had a little linoleum left over from the bathroom. So put the cut offs in the entry way. Doesn't match at all and needs a lot more work but that's a huge improvement over the wore out trip hazard that came out.

Can't wait for this week to be over. Company every day and then daughter's wedding rehearsal and wedding this weekend. I was told tie is optional... Said I guess hats are out then?

Oh, and the grape Pedialyte kept me hydrated and feeling like he man.
Sorry. I tried Pedialyte today while out doing some storm clean up. Tastes like cr*p IMO. Even when cold. Dumped it out and went back to drinking Gatorade and plain water.

Philbert

Cut another 3 Red Maple on Friday (the pic shows 2 stumps), then started changing the bearing on my wood splitter. Seems it was a bit worn!

Had to go to 2 different places, then back again for the seals. Had never replaced a race in a wheel before, but got it done with a hammer, nail set and a socket (although I did not have a socked as large as I wanted, it still provided more surface area than the nail punch for inserting the new race). So I took it all apart on Fri afternoon, and put it all back together on Sat morning. The other side seemed good, but I did it anyway. Good thing I did, everything was all wet in there. Replaced the seal and repacked the bearings … does not have grease fittings!

I then went to a Memorial trap shoot yesterday afternoon. I had not shot trap in about 2 decades. Only go 15 the first round, but was not upset about it at all. Then started the second round … 0 for 3!!! Got mad at myself, and finished with 18! Hey, I'll take 18 of 22 any day!

So I biked with the Grandkids this morning (hauled my 5 year old Granddaughter behind me), then in the afternoon went to practice with my bow, archery season is approaching, and every year that darn bow is tougher to pull back (and I have already let up on the draw weight twice in recent years).

I use 4 practice arrows and shoot 20, 30, 40 and 50 yds respectively, each time. My last set, both the 40 and 50 were in the white, and the 50 yd was in the X, so I figured it was time to quit!

Hopefully, I'll find a deer next month! Have not got one with the bow for quite a while … part of the problem is cross bow now opens 11/2!

Attachments

• RedOaks90913.jpg
    RedOaks90913.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20190913_163602024_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190913_163602024_HDR.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 28
Cut another 3 Red Maple on Friday (the pic shows 2 stumps), then started changing the bearing on my wood splitter. Seems it was a bit worn!

Had to go to 2 different places, then back again for the seals. Had never replaced a race in a wheel before, but got it done with a hammer, nail set and a socket (although I did not have a socked as large as I wanted, it still provided more surface area than the nail punch for inserting the new race). So I took it all apart on Fri afternoon, and put it all back together on Sat morning. The other side seemed good, but I did it anyway. Good thing I did, everything was all wet in there. Replaced the seal and repacked the bearings … does not have grease fittings!

I then went to a Memorial trap shoot yesterday afternoon. I had not shot trap in about 2 decades. Only go 15 the first round, but was not upset about it at all. Then started the second round … 0 for 3!!! Got mad at myself, and finished with 18! Hey, I'll take 18 of 22 any day!

So I biked with the Grandkids this morning (hauled my 5 year old Granddaughter behind me), then in the afternoon went to practice with my bow, archery season is approaching, and every year that darn bow is tougher to pull back (and I have already let up on the draw weight twice in recent years).

I use 4 practice arrows and shoot 20, 30, 40 and 50 yds respectively, each time. My last set, both the 40 and 50 were in the white, and the 50 yd was in the X, so I figured it was time to quit!

Hopefully, I'll find a deer next month! Have not got one with the bow for quite a while … part of the problem is cross bow now opens 11/2!
I have the same ladder Mike.
Are you using it to set ropes, do you have a throw-ball and throw-line, I thought you had a bigshot or did I get you mixed up with someone else.
Nice work on the trees and the bearings, I hate dirty grease :eek:.

Sitting down with a cup of tea trying to calm myself down. i still can't believe the cascading train wreck that just unfolded as I was glueing up my set of drawers project. Decided to do it in stages as some of it is complex and I didn't have faith the glue working time would be enough. Dry run yesterday, no probs at all. Today, beyond a safe level of stress and complications. This stage had about 8 pieces of either mortice and tenoned or sliding dovetailed pieces that had to come together in sequence. Well, I was too slow for the glue and when I tried bashing one piece into position it broke off leaving about a 1.5' length of sliding dovetail in the groove and I could not get it out. All while the other glue on the other pieces is going off before I'm ready for it. Haven't had a panic like that since the red dragon gum that sat back and pretzled my new 42" bar last Summer. I'm talking total stress limits reached.
And at that critical moment in my train wreck, the new neighbour came over to introduce himself and offer me some lunch. I had to politely as I can advise I've worked long hours for three weeks on this cabinet build and it's a really bad time as glue is going off and I'm knee deep in trainwreck. He wanted to exchange pleasantries at which point I cast aside politeness and said "I've worked for three weeks on this piece and glue is going off and I'm phucking this up so if you don't mind I need to get back into it salvaging what I can. " He finally got the message and left. I mean, there could not have been a worse time to meet the new neighbour.
Rescued what I could of the glue up and will have to get creative with the repairs and also accept that I've lost forever the perfection I had worked so hard for all these weeks. when i accepted I couldn't do any more to salvage it I took a few steps away, double over and threw up. That kind of stress isn't advisable.
I'm so gutted right now but went to appologise to the new neighbour anyway but they have gone out or are avoiding me ;-)

Sitting down with a cup of tea trying to calm myself down. i still can't believe the cascading train wreck that just unfolded as I was glueing up my set of drawers project. Decided to do it in stages as some of it is complex and I didn't have faith the glue working time would be enough. Dry run yesterday, no probs at all. Today, beyond a safe level of stress and complications. This stage had about 8 pieces of either mortice and tenoned or sliding dovetailed pieces that had to come together in sequence. Well, I was too slow for the glue and when I tried bashing one piece into position it broke off leaving about a 1.5' length of sliding dovetail in the groove and I could not get it out. All while the other glue on the other pieces is going off before I'm ready for it. Haven't had a panic like that since the red dragon gum that sat back and pretzled my new 42" bar last Summer. I'm talking total stress limits reached.
And at that critical moment in my train wreck, the new neighbour came over to introduce himself and offer me some lunch. I had to politely as I can advise I've worked long hours for three weeks on this cabinet build and it's a really bad time as glue is going off and I'm knee deep in trainwreck. He wanted to exchange pleasantries at which point I cast aside politeness and said "I've worked for three weeks on this piece and glue is going off and I'm phucking this up so if you don't mind I need to get back into it salvaging what I can. " He finally got the message and left. I mean, there could not have been a worse time to meet the new neighbour.
Rescued what I could of the glue up and will have to get creative with the repairs and also accept that I've lost forever the perfection I had worked so hard for all these weeks. when i accepted I couldn't do any more to salvage it I took a few steps away, double over and threw up. That kind of stress isn't advisable.
I'm so gutted right now but went to appologise to the new neighbour anyway but they have gone out or are avoiding me ;-)
Bummer Bro :rare2:.
I didn't screw anything up today(that I'm aware of yet), but things sure didn't go as planned :(. Been sick for over two weeks and I have a nasty mess here at the house from the storm that hit us Thursday evening. I get not feeling to great about yourself when things don't go as planned, I think thats hard in many ways. As far as the :baba:, you'll have to find someone else who can understand that level of disappointment in oneself, do you think it may have just been the glue :dizzy:.
Anyway I hope you can make piece with your new neighbors and salvage much of your project.
BTW I've enjoyed viewing those works of art, so don't give up, stay strong :muscle:.

is it more expensive than gatorade?
Yes. It’s about 4 bucks a liter for off brand or 6-7 for real Pedialyte. But one quart a day in hot weather is all I need and I drink water otherwise. I’ll drink water before working, 3/4 of the Pedialyte while I’m working and then go back to water and drink the last 1/4 when I’m driving home.

Any idea what this is?

It was very yellow inside. I was surprised when I saw the noodles coming out. Quite heavy and split easy. The pictures don't do the color justice
a5692e41349955d8c9095f07f81eb870.jpg
ddbaea32039786b776a710c0ea41c159.jpg
d8dc06f3c066e600c8d0c2ff6fa58430.jpg
0f99f78fbc1aa111f893bf16fe108a76.jpg

Back