Diagnose this Chainsaw problem?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nic Gibson

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have an older Husq 262xp that has been running great. I ran it on a cherry tree and it kicked butt. Then I was flush cutting a stump and it just sputtered and stopped. I've tried to get it started again, and it will start up when choked and then it just dies.

When I opened the cap it seemed like the air filter was ajar off the opening. I know you are never suppsed to run a saw without the air filter on it. I'm wondering if maybe when I was cutting on the side that the air filter came off and some dirt got into the saw?

thoughts?

nic

Welcome aboard.

The saw pops, so it's not a spark issue. It sounds like you have either a fuel delivery problem, or an air leak.

The fuel tank vent could be clogged. Crack the fuel cap, retighten, then try to start it. If it runs well, that's the problem.

If not...
Check the fuel lines for cracks, make sure it's tight on the carb.

If STILL no love...
Assuming the fuel lines are ok, open the H and L needles (1/4 turn counter clockwise). If you can get the saw to run, but can't get it under control (races then dies, doesn't respond to the throttle as expected, won't tune for crap), you have an air leak. The most likely culprit would be failed crank seals.

There is definitely fine dust in where the carb is. Looks like that's been going on for a little while.
What does "dirt in the carb" mean? Whether there is dust and dirt on the outside of the carb, or take it apart and see if there is dirt in there?
I'll work through these 2 posts and get back.

There is definitely fine dust in where the carb is. Looks like that's been going on for a little while.
What does "dirt in the carb" mean? Whether there is dust and dirt on the outside of the carb, or take it apart and see if there is dirt in there?
I'll work through these 2 posts and get back.
Fine dust counts as dirt. More than likely, you just need to disassemble and clean the carb, or have someone clean it. Obviously, dust on the outside isn't really important, it's dust inside where the action happens that matters.

Ok gents (and ladies if there are any),
I looked at the carb and it is the dirtiest little carb I have ever seen.
That is NOT supposed to look like that right?
I took off the Muffler and looked at the Cylinder and she looks nice.
So this leads me to believe I have a carb issue. That when I cut the stump on the side, I got a bunch of gunk into the intake because the filter wasn't covering it right, and I got an issue with my function in there. I just don't understand why it took this long, since this is so filthy,
Since I bought this off a guy for $100, and I haven't gotten inside it before now, I think I just need to get a carb and tune up kit and get it restarted, and then get a carb kit for this carb and rebuild it when I have time to really clean it nice...ie. winter.
thoughts?

Attachments

• 20190918_194810.jpg
    20190918_194810.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 36
  • 20190918_195641.jpg
    20190918_195641.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 30
  • 20190918_195542.jpg
    20190918_195542.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 29
Might want to clean your tank vent. Does your piston look clean?

This inside looked clean, but the air intake was compromised because the air filter was ajar. I'll have a closer look tonight hopefully.
However, I've never seen this much dust on the carb of any of my other saws. They have all been pretty clean. IT thought that was abnormal. This saw has gotten a good bit of hard use though, more than any of mine.

You kind of took the wrong pics Nic. We need a pic of the exhaust side of the piston. Rotate it up into the exhaust port and try to get a good, focused pic of it. Also, you need to keep your chains in better shape. That will be hard to do stumping, but there is way too much fine dust in that airbox. The inside of the carb venturi, the part that really counts, looks relatively clean from what little I can see.

I thought the exhaust port WAS the port that went into the muffler. I don't think I understand how they can be different. Do you just mean that my picture isn't good because you can't really see well inside the cylinder? Or are you saying I need to access the cylinder from another opening? Or are do you think my pic looks like I removed the carb and took a pic from that angle? I promise it is the port into the muffler.

OK. Is this better? I was confused that you wanted to see the exhaust side of the piston and not the cylinder wall from the vantage point of the exhaust opening. I thought that scoring was a cylinder wall issue more than a piston issue- since people say they are so expensive to fix and pistons are relatively cheap compared to a whole cylinder. I think I'm clear now- but tell me if I'm not.

Also, What do you mean I need to keep my chains in "better" shape? What gives away they are in worse shape- that I admit to flush cutting a stump?
How does that relate to fine dust being in the air box?
You're right that the inside of the carb looks pretty clean. But I was under the impression that i didn't need to get much in there for it to screw things up.

So the piston doesn't look anything like scored right?
So we should assume this is a carb issue right? rebuild carb, new filter, and try it. Yeah?

Attachments

• 20190921_004639.jpg
    20190921_004639.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 16
  • 20190921_004639 (1).jpg
    20190921_004639 (1).jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 16
  • 20190921_004615.jpg
    20190921_004615.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 14
Also, What do you mean I need to keep my chains in "better" shape? What gives away they are in worse shape- that I admit to flush cutting a stump?
How does that relate to fine dust being in the air box?
You're right that the inside of the carb looks pretty clean. But I was under the impression that i didn't need to get much in there for it to screw things up.
Dull chains create fine dust, which gums up air filters and carbs quicker.

As previously advised clean the internal circuits of the carb . Usually a bread wrapper wire or liquid carb cleaner spray will suffice . Check fuel filter also , which may well be restricted . The high & low speed jets must be removed and sprayed out . Set the jets from 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 turns out . This will get you in the ball park , you can fine tune from there . If it starts and runs , add some fuel cleaner to a fresh gas and oil mix for the 1st tank . In the future send such questions to the chainsaw section , all the Best !

Back