What do you think Stihls best saw is?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can come up with any model you want and it will be a good saw. I'm not giving up my 066 for nothing, one of those "cold dead fingers" things. That being said, going to be hard to displace the 044/440 as being an overall workhorse/all arounder.

Did I mention that I really love my 066?

You can come up with any model you want and it will be a good saw. I'm not giving up my 066 for nothing, one of those "cold dead fingers" things. That being said, going to be hard to displace the 044/440 as being an overall workhorse/all arounder.

Did I mention that I really love my 066?

Yup. I really like the 009 Super Mag, an 012 with an 009 handleset. 45 ccs of reed valve torque in a tiny little package. That said, my 361 is so sweet to use, even with the stopped-up factory muffler. The 044 is in the sweet spot of saws, feeling and sounding and cutting just awesomely! Then the ms660 runs so darn well, and rips through stuff like it isn't there. But who can forget the 200T, climbing saw extraordinaire. That is my 5 saw plan. Throw in an old red master switch 026, cause it is my first Stihl ever, and the saw that brought me to this insane forum where I have made good friends and had a blast.

so, teh six best Stihl saws in a nutshell. Feel free to add to teh list......:greenchainsaw:

200T is competition chased... 361 is the one saw plan ...026/260 with an opened muffler is the puppy on the truckseat next to you........all the big saws are big saws and simply awesome based on horses alone

In my opinion all Stihl's from ms260 to 660 are great.

I would choose the ms361 as my all time favorite and probably one of the best Stihl saws ever made!

:taped:

:rock:

The 090 cant be beat in big wood.

but the 441 gots to love it.

or any stihl better than them huskys:hmm3grin2orange: jk but seriously there all great imo.

Big Trees Need Big Saws

I have never owned a Big Saw, as the forest I live in has been logged often, there are no "PHAT" trees. I Have cut many cords of firewood, with my 30 year old 024 Super! Other than normal wear items, ie, chains, sprockets and bars, it has never let me down. It is also still peppy and nimble.
Love my new MS362, but as the thread goes, it would be the Super!:rockn:

going to get a lot of crap . did not know they made a good one .they run strong . just buy stock in loctite or super glue or a spring factory .spring work best.

I've seen the old 020 av come out of a tree 30-40 feet high more then once. step on the bar to straiten it. tie it back on the climbers rope and watch him finish the tree. I have one that still runs great 23 years after I bought it.

Yeah, but I sold all 3 064's I had for my bathroom remodel. Wish I had kept one. Stihl have the rest of that list plus more.

I wish you would have told me. I would have definitely bought the first 064, the one we ran in my basement..........

I vote for the 009, 200T, 026, 361, 044, 660, and the 084. Is that specific enough?!?!?!

The 044 sure does "feel right," but is a bit big for my everyday use. 026, if I had to pick just one saw to use all day.

stihl 460 or the older 046 MAGNUM. best saw ever made!! light and powerful. and not a bunch of fancy plastic. like another saw company i know.ha

MS200T, it's the one Stihl that no other manufacturer has an answer for. You say MS260 somebody will say (rightly, IMO) that the 346xp is more powerful. You say MS660 Magnum, somebody will say the 390xp is smoother, or the 7900 is lighter and nearly as powerful. Dunno, I've never owned a big saw other than the 660. MS361? Other 60cc saws have their fans, and some would say that the 372xp makes the whole 60cc class irrelevant. But if you say MS200T, about all anybody can say is that it's expensive. The other climbing saws may be cheaper, but they're all either heavier or less powerful, or both. I'm not saying that the other Stihls aren't good saws, or aren't THE best Stihl for a given person, but the MS200T is the only one literally in a class by itself.

Jack

I cannot argue with that one bit.

I will say though, that saws are like carry guns. Whichever one you have when you really need it is the “best”.
My 029 SUPER was the best, the day I got my MS 192 TC pinned during a tad bit aggressive back cut twenty feet up.
Oops.
Tied off the 192, brought up the 029 SUPER and released the hounds...
It was definitely the best STIHL that day.
:numberone:
STIHL the BEST

Hard to say there have been many great ones and I have most. Depends on what your doing. Best one saw plan a 361 with a 440 oiler in it. For climbing a 026 261c or 241c. Bucking probably 044 460 firewood 036 361 felling 064 or 066 short case. Like Jacob Jay said the 1996 066 short case flat top with poly flywheel and 660 crank is one hell of a saw

The farm boss or ms290 seems to be the most popular saw they ever sold. I have several and they have served me well.
Honestly witch ever one I'm using would qualify.

Back