Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well , was gonna go to that lot to drop more not spruce today but it rained this morning and when it stopped at 11am the humidity stayed at 95% so it was a sauna even at 65 :(
By 2 it wasn't bad so I went to the undisclosed location to block up some of that 4' stuff that we brought from the lot .
The Ryobi 2.0 worked fine , got 3 tanks in it today :)

View attachment 759695 View attachment 759696
Nice little Ryobi VSII Dan :rock:.
Where did you find it?

Any idea what this is?

It was very yellow inside. I was surprised when I saw the noodles coming out. Quite heavy and split easy. The pictures don't do the color justice
a5692e41349955d8c9095f07f81eb870.jpg
ddbaea32039786b776a710c0ea41c159.jpg
d8dc06f3c066e600c8d0c2ff6fa58430.jpg
0f99f78fbc1aa111f893bf16fe108a76.jpg

Mulberry???

I have the same ladder Mike.
Are you using it to set ropes, do you have a throw-ball and throw-line, I thought you had a bigshot or did I get you mixed up with someone else.
Nice work on the trees and the bearings, I hate dirty grease :eek:.

Yes, I mostly use it to set ropes, and it is high enough to do that for most of the trees I cut (but these did not need it, all were leaning OK). No throw line, you are mixing me with someone else (but I should have one). A lot of times, with vines and stuff, and some of the trees just having a crown, the ladder is fastest, and the price was right at HF.

I don't like wearing plastic gloves, but when you are working with grease is a great time to wear them! I remember when we had to grease wheel bearings every time we did brakes, but those days are gone and it has been a long time since I've done this. Glad it is over! The splitter is only 4 years old, and I usually trailer it when moving it, so I think they just neglected to grease that bearing.

Both of them are now stuffed full of grease, with new seals. Hopefully the water will no longer be able to get in. FYI, I did not clean that axle before the pic, so they never greased it right (IMO).

Bummer Bro :rare2:.
I didn't screw anything up today(that I'm aware of yet), but things sure didn't go as planned :(. Been sick for over two weeks and I have a nasty mess here at the house from the storm that hit us Thursday evening. I get not feeling to great about yourself when things don't go as planned, I think thats hard in many ways. As far as the :baba:, you'll have to find someone else who can understand that level of disappointment in oneself, do you think it may have just been the glue :dizzy:.
Anyway I hope you can make piece with your new neighbors and salvage much of your project.
BTW I've enjoyed viewing those works of art, so don't give up, stay strong :muscle:.
thanks.

i hope you are feeling better soon. Two weeks is getting into super strength man-flu territory

If it was a for profit piece I'd not get so worked up but this is for friends going through a very hard time and is made 100% from irreplaceable heirloom timber from their past. This is one of those things where time is absolutely no object. I'll spend whatever time it takes to get it perfect. Well, until today that is. There's no way I'd stress so much if it was a build for anyone else or for money. So, yeah, even surprised myself how much this means to me and how stressed I got. The only other time I've been so stressed I barfed was just before lights-out on the operating table.

Apologised to the neighbours. I doubt they'll be bugging that lunatic next door again any time soon ;-)
It's just my luck he had to turn up during amateur hour at the sheltered workshop.

Any idea what this is?

It was very yellow inside. I was surprised when I saw the noodles coming out. Quite heavy and split easy. The pictures don't do the color justice

Never seen mulberry but the bark photo looks like an old twisty box elder. I get alot of the big rounds that don't have the red streak. Stinks to high hell so if it don't stink it ain't box elder.

Never seen mulberry but the bark photo looks like an old twisty box elder. I get alot of the big rounds that don't have the red streak. Stinks to high hell so if it don't stink it ain't box elder.
No stink. I I've handled lots of box elder. This was way too heavy/dense. And just looks way too different inside to me

That scrounged apple sure came in handy. Had some friends over and cooked up a batch of ribs. I do them on a sheet for an hour then directly on the grill to finish. Charcoal and some small apple splits for 2 1/2 hours. Oh man my belly aches!!!
34d12d487824e589eed6b07c20da199e.jpg
86038960154c68d3494fa38bf5f6ce0f.jpg
8d9b88b3194e32cad9de16003aaa5f1a.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Uh, Jeff. I checked my pm's, my email, the letterbox. Where's the invite?

Got a new/used rig for moving around my scrounged wood. Upgraded from my LX885. Excited for the AC so I can use it in the summer with the inverted splitter I bought a couple months back. They pulled the photos already so this pic is of one a little cleaner :)

View attachment 759329

Dang man!

That is AWSOME!

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Yes, I mostly use it to set ropes, and it is high enough to do that for most of the trees I cut (but these did not need it, all were leaning OK). No throw line, you are mixing me with someone else (but I should have one). A lot of times, with vines and stuff, and some of the trees just having a crown, the ladder is fastest, and the price was right at HF.

I don't like wearing plastic gloves, but when you are working with grease is a great time to wear them! I remember when we had to grease wheel bearings every time we did brakes, but those days are gone and it has been a long time since I've done this. Glad it is over! The splitter is only 4 years old, and I usually trailer it when moving it, so I think they just neglected to grease that bearing.

Both of them are now stuffed full of grease, with new seals. Hopefully the water will no longer be able to get in. FYI, I did not clean that axle before the pic, so they never greased it right (IMO).
Good morning Mike.
A couple throwbags and a "slick line" and a nice storage bag is an incredible tool for setting lines. It does take a while to figure out some of the tricks for getting specific branches isolated, but the throwing it part I think you'd get pretty quick. There's also a couple knots that are the best for tying the bag to the line then the rope to the bag but they are easy. For around 60 you can buy a package deal that would last for a long time. Oh another thing I use mine for all the time is getting smaller hangers out of trees without rope and then bigger hangers with a rope, the line is quite strong for it's size, but rope is easier on the hands. I didn't get mine at HF so they probably aren't quite the same.

When I was wrenching for a living we had cloth gloves I'd always wear for disassembly and cleanup(my bay too), then I would remove them so I had clean hands, especially doing brake jobs. When I wrench now many times it's at a good friends because he has a lift, he wrenches for a living and always has nitrile(?) gloves there. What's funny is he wears like kid sized ones so if I have to remove them they get destroyed. When ever there is a party/gtg where they have the icebreaker that they say "tell one thing no-one knows about you" I always say I hate having dirty hands, no-one knows because my hands always seem to be dirty :eek:.
Hopefully you'll be set for a long time now. It amazes me how little grease is needed on a bearing, the biggest thing is keeping contaminants out I've found.
Crazy it was dry, but :rolleyes:. Glad it lasted well.

thanks.

i hope you are feeling better soon. Two weeks is getting into super strength man-flu territory

If it was a for profit piece I'd not get so worked up but this is for friends going through a very hard time and is made 100% from irreplaceable heirloom timber from their past. This is one of those things where time is absolutely no object. I'll spend whatever time it takes to get it perfect. Well, until today that is. There's no way I'd stress so much if it was a build for anyone else or for money. So, yeah, even surprised myself how much this means to me and how stressed I got. The only other time I've been so stressed I barfed was just before lights-out on the operating table.

Apologised to the neighbours. I doubt they'll be bugging that lunatic next door again any time soon ;-)
It's just my luck he had to turn up during amateur hour at the sheltered workshop.
Thanks.
Feeling the best I have yet :). I get pretty sick at least once a yr, and then deal with allergies and asthma on a fairly normal basis, but the flu bugs the last three yrs have taken their toll on me :rare2:.
Speaking of health, it might be advisable in the future to refuse these type of projects, doesn't sound like they are good for your health :baba:.

May take a little time, but I'm sure they'll come around, a little:barbecue: and :cheers: goes a long way :yes:, besides it may calm you too :).

Any idea what this is?

Looks like Mulberry to me also. A sure sign is the color brown it turns in just a few days in the sun, at least it does that for me. Here is a pic of the color for reference.
c3e0a16a36e824c364ff0d2d972961a5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back