Beware when buying used Super Split

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kah68

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I brought home a used SS (very old) yesterday only to find that it wouldn't go through 20" hard maple without chattering (skipping). I shut it off pulled the rack out by hand and could see the teeth were damaged right where the ram and wedge connect with a 16" log. I am talking with the guy I bought it from, of course he was totally surprised :censored: to hear there was a problem. This aft I will pull the cover off and check the pinion gear, I'm sure it's not in great shape either. I called SS, they quoted me 275 for the rack and 110 for the pinion plus shipping, customs (Canada) and taxes, so about 700-750 landed here plus my time to fix it. I should have looked the machine over better and pulled the cover off. On another note, SS said the heart of the machine is the engagement mechanism, and if it's not good it's probably not worth fixing. So I may have a parts machine for sale in Central Ontario depending on how this guy deals with me.

Kirk

Last edited:
Bummer-could you swap the rack end for end and just buy a new pinion? Just using imagination and my mind's eye here...Check where the wear stops on the other end as you'd want to stay off the damaged teeth.
Benefit of the doubt first maybe someone gave it to him and he never fired it up.

Sorry about the bunged rack gear. But once you work through this frustrating bit and get it working properly you're going to be one happy camper. Hopefully you can work something out with the former owner.

I've had a SS for a couple months and have put 30 cords of tanoak through it. Next best thing to an expensive wood processor.

Just develop the good habits of not following the split piece through with your hand (pull your hand back when you engage the rack), don't drop your finger over the end of the log when splitting, and keep your hands off the ends of the logs.

Last edited:
It's at the machine shop getting an estimate to fix the rack and pinion, I also asked them to inspect the cam lock for operation. I'll keep you posted on my results.

Kirk

Can't just build up the broken teeth and grind it. It's not that high tolerance.

Latest posts

Back