Chimney liner install

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shayman

Reaction score
Hello,
I currently have a brick chimney that runs from my basement through my roof top. The bricks are in good shape. It has a 7in ceramic liner inside with a few hairline cracks. My plan is to insert a new stainless flexible liner to my stove in the basement. The only concern I have is the previous owner had their wood stove on the first level on the house therefore, a hole in the chimney and liner for a stove pipe. Do I need to seal this hole with more than a stove pipe pipe cover? or will the new liner going directly from the roof to my basement stove be sufficient? I realize I will be reducing my draft by reducing the diameter of my flue but from my research this should be ok.
Thanks for any replies

You shouldn’t have draft issues if you choose a liner diameter that is the size the stove calls for.

Do you have any other appliances venting into the flue space? Then you might gave co leaking into the occupied space with the pipe cap.

You shouldn’t have draft issues if you choose a liner diameter that is the size the stove calls for.

Do you have any other appliances venting into the flue space? Then you might gave co leaking into the occupied space with the pipe cap.

Thanks for the reply,

No, the flue space is only for the wood stove. Are there any options to cap the old stove entry (with more than a stove pipe cover) or is it necessary?

There could be some radiated heat from the liner to the plug. An appropriate amount of mineral wool may solve the problem short term but why not just brick it in and be 100% sure. It doesn't have to be pretty to be extra safe.

I just did the same install, flex liner in a masonry chimney that was questionable. I believe you Must have the liner insulated to make the install up to code. Not to mention that an insulated liner will help the stoves efficiency. Just saying all this cause it matters what size liner you can choose if you have to add insulation around it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just did the same install, flex liner in a masonry chimney that was questionable. I believe you Must have the liner insulated to make the install up to code. Not to mention that an insulated liner will help the stoves efficiency. Just saying all this cause it matters what size liner you can choose if you have to add insulation around it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And that also might lead to having the existing liner busted out & removed, to get an insulated liner the right size down.

There could be some radiated heat from the liner to the plug. An appropriate amount of mineral wool may solve the problem short term but why not just brick it in and be 100% sure. It doesn't have to be pretty to be extra safe.

The actual heat to the main floor from the liner to "chimney cap" could actually be ok, if its not a fire hazard or code violation. My thinking is that if my hairline cracks in my old ceramic liner is a violation/hazard certainly the 6in hole in both the liner and bricks should be an issue as well. If a chimney fire ever occurred (which I will be diligent in avoiding with proper burning habits, regular maintenance and inspection) I assume it would melt the liner and cap.

My chimney runs up through the center of my house.

Unfortunately, I think the SS liner I will be installing will be 5in non-insulated to fit the existing 6 in inch ceramic flue. Busting out the liner liner seems like a tough job if its even possible. Semi insulated maybe? or double wall? There may be some products out there that can really help me.

I am handy but I have never done any brick work, filing the hole seems a little tricky. But it may be the time to learn.

Thanks to everybody for posting, I appreciate all the ideas and knowledge being shared.

I have never done it, but knocking out the old liner might not be too bad, with the right tools.

If you don't use an insulated liner, you could have clearance & code issues. One that I am aware of, is that you would need I think 2" clearance to combustibles, from the outside of your chimney. Aside from that, a good insulated liner works so much better. And 5" isn't a very big hole - what do you have for a stove and what does it spec for a chimney?

Latest posts

Back