should i buy 041 for milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chenangokid

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hi all I am a newbie to site and milling
I have a small granberg and I was milling an 18 inch cherry with a ms 361 . yes it was laboring hard
I cut a few boards and decided to stop before I burn up the saw . I probably wont be doing much milling so I have a 041 I been watching for 225 . I figured if I burn it up better than burning up my 361 that I use for firewood . I know its not a great choice but will it be ok for a few 18 inch cherry logs for now ?
after reading some posts I realize a 660 is what I would probably need . and I will keep an eye open for one
but I would like to mill the few logs I have before winter sets in . thank you

I have a small granberg and I was milling an 18 inch cherry with a ms 361 . yes it was laboring hard
I cut a few boards and decided to stop before I burn up the saw . I probably wont be doing much milling so I have a 041 I been watching for 225 . I figured if I burn it up better than burning up my 361 that I use for firewood . I know its not a great choice but will it be ok for a few 18 inch cherry logs for now ?
after reading some posts I realize a 660 is what I would probably need . and I will keep an eye open for one
Are you pushing on the saw hard? I just milled up some 22-24 " wide red oak with a makita 7900. Wich is 79cc and it was a breeze. As long as i kept the chain sharp and the RPMS up it was very smooth. I stop and give the saw a chance to cool down every now and again. I also moniter the temp of my muffler with a temp gun. I dont push i just guide the saw. So what im getting at is if your carefull and take your time an a few 18" logs shouldent kill your saw. But if your like me any reason to buy a new saw is a good one. So yeah just buy it!
95740781b0cc8d6598691d5983c0b378.jpg
d72fc5815dcc8714362faa06867f5304.jpg

I'm not a full fledged Stihl guy so I'm not up on the Stihl numbers but I think the 041 is 60cc so it's not going to do much better than your 361. Like said before. Take your time and let the saw do the work and your saw will be fine for a few boards.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Wow nice boards and they look really smooth
I might if been pushing a bit but it was getting hot and I love that saw
I since changed the sprocket cause the chain was getting loose after every cut
But also a 361 is only around 60 CC
I think
Thanks

I started out milling with a 041... It will do what you want it to do. It is a tough saw and actually is lower rpm so it is ideal for milling. That being said, it is a very vibratey saw and when I upgraded to my clone 660 it was night and day different as far as actual work. In summary, yes your 041 will do the trick, but I agree and fully support buying the 660 clone.... I would even build it for you if you need me to

Thanks for advice and offer
I do like Stihl however
I have had good luck with them
I am also watching a Husky 465
Which might be good for milling
But I never had a,Husky before

The 660 or 066 are you best bets. They are out there. Just picked up a second one as a spare for 575 plus 25 shipping. Runs GREAT so it was a great deal. Craigs list, FB marketplace and other outlets, Pawn shops.... they are out there, just beat the bushes and you will find one. Post an ISO here and on other forums and see who answers.

I'm not a full fledged Stihl guy so I'm not up on the Stihl numbers but I think the 041 is 60cc so it's not going to do much better than your 361. Like said before. Take your time and let the saw do the work and your saw will be fine for a few boards.

041 is closer to 70ish cc

Husky 395XL, but good luck finding one of those. Like the 660, most people don't cut loose of them. Hit the pawnshops, you might get lucky.

No doubt that OEM is better than Chinese, but you can build 2 kits for less than the price of one good used 660. If you take your time and build them right, they are a great running saw. There will be little problems during your build but as long as you take your time and don't get frustrated, you can make a good reliable saw for a lot less money, plus it's fun to do.

No doubt that OEM is better than Chinese, but you can build 2 kits for less than the price of one good used 660. If you take your time and build them right, they are a great running saw. There will be little problems during your build but as long as you take your time and don't get frustrated, you can make a good reliable saw for a lot less money, plus it's fun to do.

Could this be done with typical tools found in a well stocked garage. Or do they list what will be needed? Is there a good set of directions to follow? Or just a box of parts? Lol

Could this be done with typical tools found in a well stocked garage. Or do they list what will be needed? Is there a good set of directions to follow? Or just a box of parts? Lol
It's just a box of parts. All the screws are t27 torx. You will need a vacuum and pressure tester, such as a mityvac or cheaper one from harbor freight or eBay. No instructions, but lots of videos on YouTube and you can get service manual and IPL online which helps a lot.

It's just a box of parts with zero instructions. You need a t 27 torx, a pair of needle nose pliers, and a small socket set. My first one took me 12 hours. I can build it in about 2 hours now, so I build more than one at a time. I have built up to 3 at once. That took me 6 and a half hours.IMG_20190210_153454027.jpg

Back