Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sacrilege!!! I covered my cabin through my umbrella policy and it hardly cost anything! (Also added the ATV, again, very cheap). I heat my house with Natural Gas, but the hunting cabin needs a wood stove!!!

I wanted to say... I mean a cabin w/o a fireplace?? :eek: but, alas... maybe its a fishing cabin. or? and other purposes prevail. not everybody has to have 7 wood burning fireplaces... ;)

Pissy rain day here. Haven't been off the porch. Weather cutie put the curse on tomorrow too.

Been cooking on the woodstove 3 days straight. Pork loin was just about perfect at the 6 hour mark.

fast fwd a week down here. same thing. off n on... but when on, same feelings!

today... X 3P2250003.JPG

I was down to 2 of the small bottles of oil to mix a gallon of premix. Did a little scrounging in the garage and found all of this! Since I’m running them in cheap/free saws I don’t really care what brand I use.

View attachment 758443

nothing wrong with that HP Ultra!

That's the biggest problem I have with the stihl mix, it makes it look like stale gas, the other thing I'm not a fan of is the smell, but if I have it I run it!
I know a guy who would use 10/30 oil in his saws, I'm not talking 20 yrs ago, the last time I saw him do it was 2 yrs ago in a 372XT. He's very hard on equipment :eek:. @brad ruch how did the inside of the 372 you got off Brian?

I use the Ultra and like it, but I mix a gallon at a time. no old smell, saw likes it... so I like it! :D

Got my mowing done for now. Kinda hoping to put that mess away before long.

mowed couple days ago. rains been a lot past week or so... afternoon showers, just enuff to keep grasses green n growing... then after mower stowed... noticed a section I had not mowed! :dumb: oh well...

we slow down, but never get to put the equipment up for winter!... one way or another I mow year round in town...

Honestly once it gets cool I can do without the hot fall days. Always dry and dusty plus the flies come out like crazy!

I’m planning to more or less do wood all weekend so at least it will be mild for that.

lol, once it gets cool here... we still get the hot fall days! it :blob2: temps, up n down...

Does anyone else scrounge for bolts like this? I probably have 25 cans worth of goodies from dad and grandpa.

View attachment 759043

sure do! I have a 'bolt cart'. sae bolts, mm bolts, lock, flats, sae nuts, mm nuts, metal screws, etc. 40 years in the collecting. not really a collector, or scrounger... sometimes I keep something for the fasteners... but I just don't toss any out! and then there are all the 8-32 sized stuff, too. 6s and 10s etc. and then containers of this n that, old fasteners... and then there is the nails cupboard... I rarely have to go out and buy nuts n bolts!

some times... I do have to hunt for it! lol... especially the small stuff, but I usually find it sooner or later. most of the small stuff recently got reorganized for more efficient searching...

like the Triumph 75o Bonneville I am helping a friend resurrect to running condition. hasn't seen light of day in over 5 years. 'someone' who will not admit to it... bumped it in rear. broke lens and bent bracket and lost one of lens screws. I took it, and found 2 new matching in my small stuff... nice cadium plated. test nut screws on all 3 nicely! guess they will do... ;)

it took to being cleaned, washed and out in the day light quite well...

P2190026.JPG

Don't even get me started svk, I make my wife insane with my bolt and parts hoarding. haha. No joke, I go to town once a month for feed n such, so I keep anything that will save me a trip to town ! we are normal, other folks are weird.

:rolleyes: I have an old, barely id'able mechanix creeper with old punky wood... I burned some of it today... but won't toss it out, wheels off long ago... 'cause there are some nice 1/4 x 2o bolts, washers n nuts all over it... :laughing:

:p

my lil Echo chugged along with the focus of a 'point man'... not as quiet, though...

this wood is a bit hard, but it cut it just fine...
P2250008.JPG

chain still sharp from last sharpening. I hand file my chains... sure can tell the dif. always put off til... then fresh again... omg, :D nice! "why did I wait?" ;)

P2250011.JPG

We're getting to the end of the burning season now, prolly just a few more weeks of morning/evening fires. With the ash factor not being an issue now, I'm burning a combo of yellow box bark and black locust. Works well, keeps us warm....and shovel out the heater every third day :crazy2:. But that's ok at this time of year.

17th Sep 1.jpg

The yellow box bark is quite thick and heavy (for bark). Quite a few BTUs in it for what it is.

13th Mar 9.jpg

I swear heat in the fall is hotter that the summer. Was 82 out and I was sweating bullets as I unloaded my truck from yesterday’s cutting.
Just watched the 7 day forcast and 80's everyday with the first day of fall being the warmest at 86*:surprised3: No rain coming either.

Hey, I couldn't refuse this project...because they never asked me. They don't even know it's coming. If they did they'd turn it down. They are the types to put everyone but themselves first and won't accept any gifts and seldom accept any help.

You're a good man, Kiwi. It is a shame to see all your painstaking work not come up quite as good as you had hoped but I'd bet folding money that they'll still be stoked to see it and won't see the imperfection you see. No-one is anywhere near as critical of their art as the artist.

Latest posts

Back