Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my lil Echo chugged along with the focus of a 'point man'... not as quiet, though...

this wood is a bit hard, but it cut it just fine...
View attachment 760123

chain still sharp from last sharpening. I hand file my chains... sure can tell the dif. always put off til... then fresh again... omg, :D nice! "why did I wait?" ;)

View attachment 760124
Love the new wood hauler! If it has one of those wobbly wheels on the front it will shake all of the dirt and bark off by the time you get home.

Maybe you should get checked out then, but then again you're saying you may be insane so maybe you're just fine :laugh:.
I'm still waiting for the voices in my head to get back to me with an appointment timeslot. Apparently one of them is a shrink whom the others highly recommend.

You're a good man, Kiwi. It is a shame to see all your painstaking work not come up quite as good as you had hoped but I'd bet folding money that they'll still be stoked to see it and won't see the imperfection you see. No-one is anywhere near as critical of their art as the artist.
I'm not a good man mate. I'm as much of an arsehole as the next arsehole if not more. Just every now and then I do something nice to ruin my hard-earned reputation.

I reckon about 1/2 a day of repairs - a bit today and a bit tomorrow and the project will look about 90% OK. Still imperfect but I can fudge it a little more than I first thought so, silver linings and all.

I’m in a cooking group on Facebook and one old boy posted start to finish of fried gopher.

They people who only eat meat from a store lost their minds. It was great.

The only better reaction was the time a different fellow did baked muskrat with mushroom gravy.
Best meat I’ve ever eaten is muskrat. If they got as big as pigs or cows I’ld never buy beef or pork again.

ok, 9 pages is enuff. :D ez to get behind, but interesting to catch up. well, try... almost 1:30 am. I did get some of my scrounged wood of late, cut up for campfires... pretty happy about that...

some old oak, side pieces...
View attachment 760117

View attachment 760118

no wood, no campfires...
View attachment 760119

I'm going to repost your shopping cart load in my thread, https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/runnin-loads.286525/ , cause we are only down to a handful of unused transportation ... and a shopping cart wasn't on the list !! Kudo's to you.

BTW I'm half Kiwi on my Dad's side but some how am stuck North of 50, about a 1/3rd the way up Manitoba, Canada.

Keep on .... Runnin' Loads !!

Does anyone else scrounge for bolts like this? I probably have 25 cans worth of goodies from dad and grandpa.

View attachment 759043

really do like my 'fastener inventory'. tip of the iceburg...and does not include all my ANs...
P2270010.JPG P2270011.JPG P2270012.JPG P2270013.JPG P2270014.JPG P2270015.JPG

usually can find what I need or want, but not always quickly! lol

I’m especially a pack rat at the cabin, because if you need anything on Saturday afternoon or Sunday it’s an hour and ten minutes to the nearest hardware store!

I hate having to go to town... shoots the afternoon! I even carry an empty gasoline 5 gallon can with me back n forth so I can arrive with gasoline and not need to go get it...

It’s in my list of things to do to sort by size transfer from coffee cans to largemouth mason jars so you can see what’s in there.

haha, :laughing: that would be a bucket list item for me... sort by size! admirable project, for sure. maybe in my next life... lol

I also have the baby food jars - still used when my kids were small! That is what I remember the 'old farts' having when I was a kid: coffee cans and baby food jars. Philbert

my dad was a 'hot shot' mechanic... A&P... radials, recips and jet turbines! gunsmith, etc. he could do almost anything mechanical! gas weld like heliarc! etc. I can still remember the day.... and I was quite young... under 5... when I was with him one day and he was working on something... and he told me about nuts n bolts... and always to save them. don't throw out any u have left... and he showed me his 'inventory'. he made a life long impression on me that day. what I have now is my 2nd collection. I had one, too up north...

I have a multi tiered rack with mason jar lids. When my mother and aunt were cleaning out my grandparents basement my aunt threw the mason jars and contents away. Pissed me right off.

previous owner of my place used them. the lids. up under a shelf. not sure if I removed them or not. guess I will have to check...

Back