How do i kill a tree stump?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephen Clark

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
it has been 4 weeks since i cut my tree down to the stump. but now the stump is sprowting many shoots. so how do i kill the stump?

Fresh cut is key. If you have 30-40% Roundup that will also work...but not as well as Tordon. I get Tordon at the farm stores...there are 4 within 2 miles of my house. I also like Garlon, but that is usually harder to find - especially in small quantities.

I cut a willow tree and split the wood. Months later I had shoots growing out of the bark on the split wood.

I cut a large maple tree that over hanged my garage. The roots are sending up shoots that are 6’ tall already. More firewood in a few years.

Fresh cut is key. If you have 30-40% Roundup that will also work...but not as well as Tordon. I get Tordon at the farm stores...there are 4 within 2 miles of my house. I also like Garlon, but that is usually harder to find - especially in small quantities.
We tried Garlon once and it worked great.

I have heard that copper spikes will kill just about anything they are plunked into, don't know first hand, but I do know that copper is incredibly antibacterial, and will kill just about anything it's in contact with, also why it was used on boat bottoms to keep things from growing on them, or just have a good fire ontop of the tree stump for some Period of time, I like hotdogs, so the fire sounds like a good excuse :/

Try some salt. Its organic. Works on grass and weeds and bushes and such. Should kill a stump as well.

Yeah...the Romans use to salt the earth of conquered cities so nothing would grow there again for a few years. It certainly works. How is salting the earth better than a very small dose of a product designed to kill the specific target then have no lingering impact? Because it is a naturally occurring product? I don't get it.

Cut the stump low to the ground. It should die.

I drop trees and cut the stump about 6” from the ground then copice the 6” stump, cut a vee shape low in the center of the stump. It will send up shoots again from the root syatem. Went back years later and had trees growing.

Yeah...the Romans use to salt the earth of conquered cities so nothing would grow there again for a few years. It certainly works. How is salting the earth better than a very small dose of a product designed to kill the specific target then have no lingering impact? Because it is a naturally occurring product? I don't get it.
Like you said, naturally occurring.
Yup. I dont see myself in court with Morton's about their salt like so many people are with Monsanto and their round up.

So because it is naturally occurring, it doesn't have negative side effects?

Pretty sure there is an equal amount of evidence that salt is a carcinogen as there is for RoundUp.

If you don't think overexposure to salt isn't harmful......I'm not sure how to continue a reasonable discussion.

Back