Stihl 020AV Super Idle question and manual request

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be completely honest- I didn't think it would, but was holding off to see how long it took for the heat and friction to dissolve the repair..... just incase it did work!
Back when I was younger and disc brakes were a rarity on motor vehicles, there used to be brake shops where you could get your drum brakes repaired. Things like lathes that could turn out and reface brake drums, brake shoes could be resurfaced and oversized shoes made.
Those kinds of shops would have the ability to adhere pads to brake shoes........ but those kinds of shops are near a thing of the past!

Keep your eye out for a parts saw or three, bound to be some on social media, auction sites or buy sell exchange pages. They might have a fried p&c or something else wrong, but a good clutch.

I dig. Hey it was worth a shot :p

I'm looking to see if I can use the other type (open) clutch on my 020AV Super. The one in the bottom illustration. No pads on that one, it's sintered.

clutch.jpg clutch 2.jpg

open up the muffler a bit and you,ll see it come alive

How would you mod the 020AV's muffler?

It seems pretty spirited as is, as long as you dont try to stuff beyond it's limits..12" is where I draw the line as far as tree diameter goes.

How would you mod the 020AV's muffler?

It seems pretty spirited as is, as long as you dont try to stuff beyond it's limits..12" is where I draw the line as far as tree diameter goes.
I opened it at the seam and pried a bit of the flap back .They are a really restricted
design and ,I couldn;t believe the performance gain

I opened it at the seam and pried a bit of the flap back .They are a really restricted
design and ,I couldn;t believe the performance gain

Interesting. Mine is just an empty shell, in two pieces clamped together by the 2 mounting screws. Falls apart when you take it off.

open up the muffler a bit and you,ll see it come alive

I have quite a few of those 020's . Stihl made two different styles mufflers for those saws . The most common is what I would call a stock muffler and the other one would be modified with a more open exit for the exhaust . I did a little porting on one of those 40 mm engines put an AVP rear handle on it with a D handle pull start and one of those modified type mufflers on it so it would be kind of like a mini hot saw . Been awhile since I have ran it but it was a screamer when I got it done.

I have quite a few of those 020's . Stihl made two different styles mufflers for those saws . The most common is what I would call a stock muffler and the other one would be modified with a more open exit for the exhaust . I did a little porting on one of those 40 mm engines put an AVP rear handle on it with a D handle pull start and one of those modified type mufflers on it so it would be kind of like a mini hot saw . Been awhile since I have ran it but it was a screamer when I got it done.

Nice man. I was ready to give up on mine. Glad I didn't.
I wouldn't mind a rear handle version as well. Maybe I'll stumble across one locally one day :)

I like the noise/performance ratio I get out of my stock super so I'll leave it like that.

Here is a picture of that saw with that oddball muffler and the reverse side of the saw. Glad I got it off the shelf darn wasps built a nest over the screen . This isn't the first time I have found nests in my good saws I keep in the garage or in my parts I keep on shelves.

That saw is an older 020 body and tank with a changed out 40 mm top end, electronic ignition of some type and like I said with some mild porting on the cylinder trying to be sneaky in the small saw class if I ever raced it at one of these GTG that I never attended. . DSCN2102.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN2100.JPG
    DSCN2100.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 5
Turns out one no longer needs to deal with the friction pad clutches. I bought a clutch for the MS 200T/020T, #1129-160-2000.

Works great, $15 used on Ebay. OG Stihl part. (Sorry for the out of focus image)

Good times, had to adjust the idle just a bit and it's doing well now. (For now)

20190923_161047.jpg

Latest posts

Back