Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
down south here... bit lower than Dallas on the map... lol ;) not many of us heat with wood! even less probably scrounge up and split farwood. but some of us do... I got a bit behind on some of my wood cutting for camp fire use. I like to light it up, then just reach over a bit and put some fuel on it. sometimes uncovering the nearby woodpile time consuming... lol :rolleyes: but was glad to get this wood cut in half. chunks too long. scrounged, given to me as is, well as was. P2250012.JPG soon to be split...

then I cut up what was in my wheelbarrow, cause I needed it to go get some oak limbs. and rain was an issue today. and I dint want to get my lumberjack tractor out and get it all wet! :nofunny:

and added some to my mobile wood pile... nice to have a campfire going and just roll this up close and add as need be... well, imo
P2250014.JPG

did I mention, rain was an issue today! :cool:
P2250002.JPG

then went and got couple oak limbs that had come down over at couple neighbor's... this headed to the wood pile currently being added to. fall months just around the corner, or so we hope... :)

bit less than 10 cu ft, prob 3/4ths 1/12 of a cord.
P2250017.JPG

an easy 3 afternoons of camp fires, no splitting req'd.

Well today I ran out of gas before the splitter. To hot right in the sun. I tried making my own 4 way wedge, worked pretty good on smaller rounds. Cut it off after a couple hours of aggravation.View attachment 758866 View attachment 758861

nice wedge mod! beefy, to say the least!! and almost by anybody's standards... that is a big bite!

Company I work for has an operations site in cedar springs.

It was an Ngk plug.

sent from a field
So they want boiler wood?
That's odd.
Ooh we haven’t discussed spark plugs around here for a long time.

I like NGK the best.
Spark plug thread :rock:.
Gotta use split fires on the splitters lol.
OOOh, lots of poison ivy. :crazy2:
Someone say PI :surprised3:.
This one came down over the main drive and into the neighbors turnaround/parking. I cut logs out of it some to become firewood later and some for boards, he removed all the PI since he's not allergic :clap:. Some of the vines were 2-3", it stuck out off the tree on the driveway side about 7' and about 20' up the tree, I had previously just let it be since it helped block the view of out house from the drive. You can see another vine on the tree behind the one that went down, it's not quite as big, I'm going to cut it and clean that corner up, maybe plant something there.
Screen Shot 2019-09-17 at 12.33.36 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-09-17 at 12.34.38 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-09-17 at 12.32.57 PM.png

Will they cut logs.
I know a guy who clears lots, he does quite a bit of work on the NW side of Rockford.

THEY wont, they leave it to me as I'm one of a handful of individuals in the company authorized to operate a chain saw and my travels take me to the various sites on a regular basis. And bucking logs isn't the issue, although I am plenty busy... Its loading the boiler. The mindset from the 4th generation is its easier to fill a propane tank than spend any time sourcing, bucking and if need be splitting rounds down to a manageable size. There are 2 propane boilers in the heating loop that I think are going to get turned on and the OWB is going to go away. I can get logs all day long. I JUST set up an arrangement with S&J tree service to dump wood onsite that's no longer than 3'..... Hes looking for a place to dump and we need wood...... Started with 1 load so the site supervisor could determine if that's something they can handle and the only feedback I got was they aren't interested in dealing with anything bigger than 16" firewood.

SO its going to go from $75 a cord back up to $180 a cord for what this other company calls boiler wood.

Its not my money and it only means its easier for me.

But shoot me his contact information or give him mine...

THEY wont, they leave it to me as I'm one of a handful of individuals in the company authorized to operate a chain saw and my travels take me to the various sites on a regular basis. And bucking logs isn't the issue, although I am plenty busy... Its loading the boiler. The mindset from the 4th generation is its easier to fill a propane tank than spend any time sourcing, bucking and if need be splitting rounds down to a manageable size. There are 2 propane boilers in the heating loop that I think are going to get turned on and the OWB is going to go away. I can get logs all day long. I JUST set up an arrangement with S&J tree service to dump wood onsite that's no longer than 3'..... Hes looking for a place to dump and we need wood...... Started with 1 load so the site supervisor could determine if that's something they can handle and the only feedback I got was they aren't interested in dealing with anything bigger than 16" firewood.

SO its going to go from $75 a cord back up to $180 a cord for what this other company calls boiler wood.

Its not my money and it only means its easier for me.

But shoot me his contact information or give him mine...
It is easier to hit the thermostat, and heck the boss should take care of that :yes:(sure that's the attitude). Don't they manufacture methane there, or is that the other dump.
He primarily chips anything smaller which would include most the 16" stuff. I hated to sit there waiting to get loaded and watching all that prime easy to buck and split wood getting shoved into the chipper :surprised3:. Guessing it probably wouldn't be a match made in heaven.

Here's a picture of the PI on the tree beside the one that came down, figured someone might want to see it. It's as big as the other was towards the top, but it got bigger lower down which is probably part of the reason this one starts up higher, it's a bush at the base not PI.
Should I cut it so it dies, or leave it, what do you guys think.
Screen Shot 2019-09-17 at 9.37.40 PM.png

Cut a good chunk out of the vines so it can’t have any chance of growing together and let that crap on the trunk start degrading. Wash your axe with gasoline or alcohol to get the ivy oil off it.

Spray the bottom part of the ivy with round up so it dies otherwise the bush at the base of the tree will go into overdrive next summer.

Cut a good chunk out of the vines so it can’t have any chance of growing together and let that crap on the trunk start degrading. Wash your axe with gasoline or alcohol to get the ivy oil off it.

Spray the bottom part of the ivy with round up so it dies otherwise the bush at the base of the tree will go into overdrive next summer.
With my axe o_O, you know me Steve:chainsaw: :laughing:. Honestly I'd backbar it, then spray it off with break parts cleaner then wd-40 and put the cover back on it.
Pretty sure I have some killer to put on it in the basement, great suggestion, and now is the time to do it when the sap is going down, sucks the killer right in :rock:. The bummer is there are a million seeds in the soil right there. I probably need to grade it out and then plant grass seed and keep it mowed, sounds like more work:sucks:.

Latest posts

Back