What is this????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamajuana

Reaction score
Any idea what type of tree this is? Located on Long Island, NY.

Attachments

• gum2.jpg
    gum2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 50
  • gun1.jpg
    gun1.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 49
  • gum.jpg
    gum.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 50
Horse Chestnut?
th

Both Horse chestnut and buckeye are in the Aesculus genus. So very closely related. For example, Red maple and Sugar maple are the same genus (Acer) but different species...so the relation between horse chestnut and buckeye is akin to the different maples relation to each other.

And...yes they are poisonous. Not kill you poisonous - just make you pretty sick to your stomach.

I've always called them worthless nuts.
*Can't eat them. (Squirrels can, but they don't like them - I think deer can eat them....but not like we need to feed the giant rats more!)
*The wood is pretty junky (wood carvers like it...but otherwise not much use)

some people around here get testy when I call buckeyes worthless nuts. I'm talking about the tree...you translate that however you want ;)

I've always called the worthless nuts.
*Can't eat them. (Squirrels can, but they don't like them - I think deer can eat them....but not like we need to feed the giant rats more!)
*The wood is pretty junky (wood carvers like it...but otherwise not much use)

some people around here get testy when I call buckeyes worthless nuts. I'm talking about the tree...you translate that however you want ;)
:lol:

Back