Removing Burls

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buy those popular eyes / nose / mouth that look like they're made of bark. People paste them onto trees to give the tree a 'face'. You find them at nursery and garden centers.

Place the eyes above the burl, let the burl act as the nose, the mouth goes beneath.

I think you will 'add value' by creating an interesting and unique converstion piece.

Embrace the burl and leave it where it is. There are millions of fungal spores floating around just waiting for the opportunity to germinate on some freshly cut wood. That is nature's promise.

ps I have an image of me sitting atop a rather large burl. I'm on vacation and don't have the image library with me, but I'll post it later on.

What do you guys know about tooth burls or pine nuts or detachable burls they are often smaller and if you wiggle them a little pop right off I have tried to find any information about them with no luck it’s weird we have them all over around here and I have started doing some research because no one knows what I am talking about any help guys o and removal of these doses no significant damage to the trees as they are only held on by small fibers such as a tooth

What do you guys know about tooth burls or pine nuts or detachable burls they are often smaller and if you wiggle them a little pop right off I have tried to find any information about them with no luck it’s weird we have them all over around here and I have started doing some research because no one knows what I am talking about any help guys o and removal of these doses no significant damage to the trees as they are only held on by small fibers such as a tooth
Could be "popcorning" from bark beetles.

1929027.jpg

spb_popcorn_pitch_tubes.jpg

southern_pine_beetle01.JPG

I don't think @jzack605 's tree is going to be hurt be removing a burl from it.

Kinda like harvesting organs at the morgue at that point.
Sorry should have been more clear. Those are images I found to try and match what nwtreeclimber was describing.

Can hardly give burls away here. I've got a pile of them that's sat there going on 2 years. Anymore they just go in the stove.

Sorry should have been more clear. Those are images I found to try and match what nwtreeclimber was describing.
I know...I was just trying to make a joke. Once the tree is that bad with SPB, it is toast anyhow. Therefore, if there were a burl on such a tree, it wouldn't matter if you cut it off or not because the tree is already on its way to dead.

Back