Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These remote jobs take so much time just getting stuff there, made just a bit easier when I built the road over through the woods to my place. Still takles time but less handling, a load now takes about 3.5 hours from home to the camp travelling cross country through the woods. Getting stuff out to your camp on the island is even more time consuming and takes many trips.

Yes it does......and on my camp work it depends on wind and wave just getting there and being able to get materials ashore once there. Then I have to do my work in the late fall which is when the westerlies get going pretty good!!! But at least it's not boring!!! Try to get most everything needed out there before the weather changes.....I can work around and through chitty weather but it must be pretty decent for transportation of materials from the boat to the beach.

Put 3.5 hours break in tyme on the brandy new Hondah genny yesterday......me likey.......smooth.....steady 2690 rpm @60cycles on idle/eco-throttle and 3990 rpm @ 60 cycles off eco-throttle....very steady power at both settings....hoping the "new to me" one ends up as good......decided overnight that whilst I have it so far apart and am waiting on parts I had better adjust the valves......I 'spect it's nevah been done and know for absolute certain it has ovah 500 hrs on it. Green output light flashes one blink for each hundred hours of run time every startup with 5 being the max memory the inverter retains....5 blinks equaling 500 hours OR MORE.....and it blinks 5 tymes and I'm pretty sure it's OR MORE!! Anyway valves should be adjusted/checked every 300 hrs according to the book. Good tyme to take care of it.

LOL!! AAAAAaaahhhh.........The evah popular asphalt siding!!!! My great Unc was more stylish.....his was amber brick pattern on the sidewalls and red brick pattern on the lower aprons...making it look like a brick foundation!! I have three 12 foot walls to redo on the small camp and I will finally have done away with that stuff!!!!

Our old camp was started in 1955 and sort of completed by 1956, watertight the first year and then a couple windows cut out and a back door filled in. Even the original roof was done in rolls they called rubberoid. Only lasted about 5 years and we then installed 3 in ones or as others called them, 3 tab shingles.

Yep thems "campy" LOL........that's what happens when people lose interest....reverts to dirt pretty quick. The original part of my camp I've dated to at least 1892....it's what's my bedroom now. The other two rooms were added seasonally.....the "living room" in 1948 and the and the kitchen in 50. There is one surviving pic of the original part likely taken in '07 or so.....old grainy pic.....never see the shed unless you knew where to look as the pic was of the whole harbor with the ancestral sloop boats on their moorings taking center stage.

My earliest pics of the camp are black and whites on film taken with a Kodak box type camera. Have albums with my family , the camp and lake taken through the years, good memories. The old camp that was my uncles has been revamped some, new owner spends weeks there in August and plenty of weekends up til the lake ices over.

Likely the same time frames on both camps....late 40's/early 50's.....for mine. But it looked a bit shabby but was still intact 70 or so years later.....cheap and quick would have figgered right into Unc's overall scheme........LOL!!

I'm sure Auntie specified the two tone siding scheme. She liked decorating things. Everything was painted yellow and red....chairs, tables, inside of the cabinets, outhouse.....smooth egg shaped rocks she collected from Boom Beach to define her flower gardens.....yellow and red.......really yellow and real red. Unc's buoy colors so it was all a write off to the tax man...LOL!!!

Spent a bit more time on the "New to Me" genny.......figgered I'd better adjust the valves as I said it very likely never been done......just a 'nuther cubical in this Pandora's Box!! Cam belt has cracks...not good...intake valve was tighter than spec but did have clearance cold.......exhaust valve was tighter than hell....like over a full turn on the adjuster just to get slack!!!!!!! Adjusted it close to spec...way better compression on the pull cord!!!! So........now I gotta separate the cases to replace the timing belt.....geeeezus......oh well..no time like the present.....timing belt $21....meh...just gotta take it back apart and go further into it. Very much like a chainsaw......not real big and not heavy to move about. All good learnin'....if it puts out reliable power when I get it back together I'll have just about as much in it as if I just bought another new one........:dumb:...........but.....at least I'll know may around these rigs......nobody rides for free....:drinking:

One nice thing is I downloaded the full owners manual and the OE service manual for these gennys......the bride has a printer at her office that will print both sides of the paper in order automatically......gotta love that!! Service manual is 45 pages and sells for $40....think I'll have her print another copy to take to camp and leave there.

Back