MS361s won't start.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodslasher

Make McCulloch Great Again!
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Currently I have 2 MS361s and a Husky 346xp that are giving me grief about starting and I'm hoping you guys can help.
MS361 #1. I got the saw as a non-runner, put a random plug in and it started consistently but the carb was unresponsive to tuning. I replaced the fuel line and the impulse line, but then the carb wouldn't hold a tune. I had the carb cleaned and I rebuilt it and the saw fired up a couple of times, popped on full choke 5 times, and now refuses to start. It has a new plug that I got today, a new fuel line, a new impulse line, a rebuilt carburetor, a clean spark screen in the muffler,and a clean air filter. The only thing I can think of that's left is replacing the carb.

MS361 #2. Same guy, sat under a camper shell outside missing the air box, cover, carb, etc. Found the missing parts for it in his shop, rebuilt carb, new fuel line, fired up, ran, I cut wood with it for 15 minutes then shut it off for the day. It wouldn't start later as it was out of fuel, I refueled it, and it gave me the same symptoms as the other one. I replaced the plug today and it fired up, revved up, and died. I went in for lunch right after that, so I have no clue whether that fixed it.

346xp: Same guy, wouldn't run. Gas down the carb and it ran for weeks with no issues. The fuel line was stiff but while I was replacing it, I accidentally set the gas fumes from the tank on fire. One Chainsawr order containing a tank, a choke, a kill switch, and a gas cap later, along with a new fuel line and filter and it ran. It ran pretty crappy though, so I thought the fire dried out the diaphragm so I cleaned and kitted the carb. Now one bit of run time, 5 pops, and it won't start. I'm at my wits end with these saws so I'm turning to you guys. Carbs or coils is all I can come up with, but I don't want to spend $300+ on these until you guys weigh in.

I had #2 vacuum/pressure tested by my favorite local shop, it came back with flying colors and the message that the low idle screw was turned all the way in.:dumb2: That little issue was fixed and now it runs like a top. The other 361 was just sent in so the jury's still out. I feel sorta stupid, but at least the one was fixed so it can take a one-way trip up to a friends in Idaho soon.

Latest posts

Back