Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did I not post 6 weeks ish ago about my brother and I clearing out dad's garage for mum? A LOT of old and useless nuts and bolts (whitworth, BSP, AF and such long since gone threads). The upsetting bit was we made several large sack fulls of old tools to scrap. High quality (in their day) spanners, taps, dies and so on. The sort of thing that dad had once upon a time as he was an engineer, and had kept for many years as to buy if needed would hve been prohibitively costly, but...well...thankfully we are metric everywhere these days. by all means squirrel.....but do ask yourself if you have any real likelihood of using it first.

the British Triumph uses whitworth... but seems that SAE is very close. have used more SAE on it than metric.... don't have any whitworth

I’ve got another half dozen jars on since this pic View attachment 759076

that's nice. but like stated, glass can break. many condiments come in plastic now a days. glad the salad dressing bottle is... it fell out of refer this morning and onto the tile! just wiped it off and replaced it... :D

fell fast, unexpectedly... gone before realized... my only thot? 'hope its not a glass one!':rolleyes:

I'm a hoarder … my cabin is 20 minutes in on the trail, and at least 15 minutes more to any store.
When I dismantled the above ground well that was in my backyard (and never was used when I was here) I repurposed the angle iron for 1) my log hauling trailers, and 2) to support grates above the outdoor fire place up at the cabin.

MM - I think we would get along well! lol :D :cheers:

I still got a bulk box of framing nails over 35 yrs old and many fasters older than 20 yrs, too... i oftne look at it all and ask? will I ever use it all? my real name is:

Backyard 'do not throw that out!' Lumberjack

:laughing:

I spent my entire youth straightening used nails so that’s one thing I don’t save. My dad had buckets worth stowed in the shed and garage. I finally threw them all away. I will save used bolts though. Decking screws lose strength over time in the elements so I’ll reuse if they look decent.

I have all of my decking screws and nails in zip lock bags in clear bins. It’s just the bolts and nuts that are in cans with the need to sort.

I don't think many of the kids today have much experience in straightening old nails and reusing them. for me, I prefer to predrill when using a restraightened nail... and some wood glue, too. I still use them, sometimes just real handy. but depends... I don't straighten them, then save them... bent and look ok, ok... bent and too rusty... gone

We built a 3 story tree fort in an old White Oak tree with thrown away lumber and straightened nails!

I even made some small explosives by peeling the gunpowder off rolls of caps, and we made rockets with used CO-2 cartridges that we filled with match heads. Careful, if you make the hole too small, they explode! We would shoot them through plastic tubes that were sold to protect golf club handles.

pre-M!80 era! lol

My nephew was down last weekend and built his dad a big ammo box and a 5 lb box of drywall screws was 25 bucks. I can remember when that same box was $2.50 Most nails these days are the thin nail gun nails and are harder to recover because there thin and bend up easily and because there thin, they are harder to drive with a hammer. It does make reusing them a challenge though.:)

here is the original sales tag on a friend's 40/45 year old Mac 6 chainsaw. similar sized saw today new $300! +/-

P2190005.JPG $17.80 total price! new!! pix taken couple weeks ago...

I'm still waiting for the voices in my head to get back to me with an appointment timeslot. Apparently one of them is a shrink who the others highly recommend.

A psychiatrist met one of his professional colleagues for lunch. He sits down and says "You're ok, how am I"?

Noodled a large Red Oak round with one of my ported Asian 660s yesterday, then split a bunch of Oak, Hickory and some Beech + Locust. Will likely split a bit more today or tomorrow (the phone won't stop ringing today).

Leaned on that 660 pretty hard while noodling that Oak, and she just kept pulling … :)

One of my son's friends stayed with us for a semester and we walked a temporary room for him with Masonite. Today the wall came down and the Masonite cut into easy size pieces for disposal. It was no match for the Stihl Picco on the junkyard Homelite. While I was out I had to cut a few hunks off the pile for giggles. It always amazes me how hard you can lean on these little guys. If you never cut wood over 8-10", you could heat your house with one of these.
8cab9c683f28aa8f77df737728a7865a.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

One of my son's friends stayed with us for a semester and we walked a temporary room for him with Masonite. Today the wall came down and the Masonite cut into easy size pieces for disposal. It was no match for the Stihl Picco on the junkyard Homelite. While I was out I had to cut a few hunks off the pile for giggles. It always amazes me how hard you can lean on these little guys. If you never cut wood over 8-10", you could heat your house with one of these.

I love my little saws. Sometimes I have to force myself to move up to the big guns.

I cut all the wood to heat my home for 5 years with a Homelite Super 2 with 14" B+C, then another 6 years with a Homelite 330. Then I got my 10 mm 044 and never ran either of them again!

The 044 was my only saw for the next 18 years! Then the 044 got crushed by a tree, and the shops would not repair it, so I purchased a 441, and worked on repairing the 044 myself (and with my Nephew's urging, joined this site). So after I got the 044 running again, the 044 and 441 were basically the same, so I sold the 441 and got a 362 C, and then it started! (The 441 was adjustable carb).

Those saws have a pretty good following :rock:.
I've never ran one myself, but I have the little craftsman version of the poulan 2.0, good little saws.
Last night I ran my ms200 rear handle since the ms201cm has been getting a lot of action this yr. I brought it up from the basement and fired it up, she was running on the 5th pull, warmed it up on some branches that were stuck on the fence from the storm then check the no load rpms, 14.7:chainsaw:, she's a fiery little beast :yes:. You can get a lot of smaller wood cut with it and it's light which is nice having not felt well :clap:.

I cut all the wood to heat my home for 5 years with a Homelite Super 2 with 14" B+C, then another 6 years with a Homelite 330. Then I got my 10 mm 044 and never ran either of them again!

The 044 was my only saw for the next 18 years! Then the 044 got crushed by a tree, and the shops would not repair it, so I purchased a 441, and worked on repairing the 044 myself (and with my Nephew's urging, joined this site). So after I got the 044 running again, the 044 and 441 were basically the same, so I sold the 441 and got a 362 C, and then it started! (The 441 was adjustable carb).
All that biking with the grands must keep ya young! I'd pickup a MS150 if they weren't so proud of them!

Latest posts

Back