chain speed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ldurmon

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have seen posts where people were estimating huge numbers like 700mph chain speed so I decided to do some math on it. For my example I used 3/8 chain on a 7 pin sprocket with a max of 12,000 rpms. I was surprised when my math showed a 60mph chain speed. :chainsaw:

I have seen posts where people were estimating huge numbers like 700mph chain speed so I decided to do some math on it. For my example I used 3/8 chain on a 7 pin sprocket with a max of 12,000 rpms. I was surprised when my math showed a 60mph chain speed. :chainsaw:

http://www.madsens1.com/bnc_chn_speed.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've also heard people talk about inches per second, or something along those lines.

Quick Google conversion says 80 mph = 1408 inches/second. (80 mph approximated from the madsens1.com example)

Your estimates look at least some what accurate. My preference has always been 40 to 50 mph for cutting with the higher speeds for limbing and brush cutting. My Husky runs up to 12,000 RPM so it will never be a slower speed cutter. Thanks

Some of the saws have feet per second rating in the specs....for instance the Husky 130 chain speed is 55 FPS or 660 inches per second

Some of the saws have feet per second rating in the specs....for instance the Husky 130 chain speed is 55 FPS or 660 inches per second
That is how chainsaw safety equipment is rated, in FPS.

I run my rims/drum at:;

325” chain 8 pin or 9 pin.............husky 240SG gov plugged
3/8” chain 8 pin...........................husky 266SE gov plugged
404” chain at 8 pin or 9 pin.........husky 2100cd gov plugged

I keep the saw chain razor sharp. these started out as my fair settings but worked out so well I used it in the woods. With the 2100 with a 20” up longer bars I switch to 8 tooth

Back