Bar oil is $4.99/Gal at Menards right now

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang, I'd buy 100 gallons at that price. We pay 3x that here.

Walmart had a sale at $9 sometime a gal last year, I bought everything they had, around 60 gallons. It lasted maybe 4 months.

I got some, but if I remember correctly this stuff sucked... Didn't cling well, anyone confirm?
Agreed. Clinging to the bar is not its strongest suit, but it works. Hard to turn down at that price, $4 off regular. Every 2 months or so Menards puts it on sale for this reduced price. It's a store traffic booster.

So what are the thoughts on mixing it with other bar oils to maybe stretch them a bit?

Unless you know that the additives in the different oils are compatible, I would not risk mixing them. Incompatible additives often turn to gum or paste when combined.

For saws with gear drive oil pumps (most modern saws) the thinner oils seem to work better. I had to switch to a thinner bar oil to keep the pump in my Husqvarna 345, the pulse driven oil pumps on the older McCulloch and Poulan saws can handle the thick stuff just fine.

I bought 8 gallons last time the Menards oil was on sale, I down to 4 already so I will make every effort to get back and get another 8 gallons or so. I haven't experienced any ill effects so far on 6 or 8 different saws I have been running.

Mark

Sale expires Saturday, isn't it like 8.99 regular price?

Didn't catch that. If you want to put in the legwork, you can buy it now and get a price adjustment slip after the rebate starts. Kinda a hassle though.

Thanks I’ll order a case or two. I get free shipping from www.jet.com

I’m stocking up on sparkplugs, two stroke 50:1 husky gas mix and bar oil. Plus parts to keep my husky saws running in the future.

This crazy world could go to hell in a hand basket at anytime.

Unless you know that the additives in the different oils are compatible, I would not risk mixing them. Incompatible additives often turn to gum or paste when combined.

That was on my mind when I asked about blending them. I didn’t figure a true blend/mix would occur. I really like the Itasca bar oil but haven’t been able to find it for under $12 gallon, I have some NAPA, it seems to stay on the bar well but @ twice the cost of FVP. I believe I will see how the FVP works.

Thanks I’ll order a case or two. I get free shipping from www.jet.com

I’m stocking up on sparkplugs, two stroke 50:1 husky gas mix and bar oil. Plus parts to keep my husky saws running in the future.

This crazy world could go to hell in a hand basket at anytime.

I.looked on there, have Walmart oil for $12.20 gal and that's it.

Back