What Part Of A Rebuild Do You HATE Most?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
without a doubt, for me it is piston pin circlips..... Every time I finish a rebuild, I tell myself I'm going to buy the circlip tool from Stihl, but I never do. Glutton for punishment I guess.
That is the true test of a saw builders ability.
To try to fit those circlips, see them fly out across the workshop, hit and ricochet off of several parts of the shop- a talented builder has the ability to be able to estimate to within one square foot just where the tiny circlip came to rest- a novice builder just opens another parts bag and gets a fresh one............. :dancing:

That is the true test of a saw builders ability.
To try to fit those circlips, see them fly out across the workshop, hit and ricochet off of several parts of the shop- a talented builder has the ability to be able to estimate to within one square foot just where the tiny circlip came to rest- a novice builder just opens another parts bag and gets a fresh one............. :dancing:

They hide underneath the flywheels.

Where do you rate the builder who, upon the circlip flying across the shop for the 2nd or 3rd time, grabs the nearest hammer type object and has to resist smashing the whole project into tiny, tiny little pieces?? :angry:

That is Master Craftsman level! :numberone::cheers:

What I about despise the most is getting the wiring hooked up and back in like it suppose to be. Getting it to work on the kill switch right and all the little rubber seals in and wire not in a mess. A lot of times things will go pretty smooth until the wire and then it is time to take a break and get the wire in.
The grommet that holds the two wires together and closes up the hole in the tank housing plastic on clam shells like the Stihl MS290 is an absolute nightmare to install. On occasion, I have spent more time doing that than all the rest of the restoration tasks put together. Some guys just plain throw the grommet away and move on.

Initial cleaning is a tedious and messy job, but there is a great deal of satisfaction in seeing the end product. I hate yard work, but at least when you mow the lawn you can look at it afterwards and see how good it looks. Also, cleaning and sorting parts into system groups can turn up parts that need help that might have been overlooked without close scrutiny.

Piston pin circlip installation is the worst part for me. My circlip installer:
20190919_182504.jpg
I've found it is easiest to fit the clip into the groove so that one end is sticking out near the indented hole on the piston. Then press inward and roll the point of the "tool" down into the hole. Of course, this leaves the ring gap at about 4 o'clock and I want it at 12. It's a beeotch to get it to 12, but "if you can't move it around in the groove, you can't be sure it's in right". I would love to have the official installer, but I'm not going to buy one. I am thinking about fabricating one, and if I ever succeed, I'll post it. Also frustrating is dealing with grease and sealant without getting either on a surface it's not supposed to be on (rebuilding clamshells, seating cylinders on pro saws).

On a positive note, Stihl press fluid ($8 for a small bottle that will last a lifetime) is very helpful in getting AV mounts in place and evaporates after installation.

How about waiting for ordered parts to arrive? I'm becoming more patient as I get older, but still ....
A lot of places are super slow to ship these days. Sure they promise “two day shipping” but when it sits for 5 days at the warehouse it’s not helping you.

Back