What Part Of A Rebuild Do You HATE Most?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they find the magnets very attractive

Be careful with magnets in motors. A strong magnet, can magnetize steel, then stray magnetic stuff will stick to it. Not something you want to do to a bearing surface, but better than a circlip loose in the bottom end.

We used to epoxy magnets to the bottom of oil pans when we built SBCs, would catch any stray steel. Some car rear ends, also have magnets on the covers to catch shavings.

The first heat cycle. The rings are new and haven't made friends with the cylinder walls yet. The carb settings are standard. Most of the time the saw is hard to start, although the first pop tells you that you are on the right track. Usually you have to blip and manipulate the trigger to keep them running at all, and this makes it difficult to impossible to adjust the carb while it's running. I generally go through this routine for a while and then let it cool off. A little later we have another go at it. It will idle, more or less, with a decent throttle response. Usually by the third time the L screw can be dialed in, in coordination with the LA. It will now idle steady, and the H screw adjustment will have to wait until it can be tested under load.

Putting the big end rod bearings in an o15. I had one years ago that I was fixing and got fed up and threw it in the trash. I was younger then and had less patience lol

LOL, I hear ya. A few years ago I encountered the same nightmare putting an 015 back together. I put it aside temporarily and I think it's still somewhere in the corner of my basement...... :sucks:

I'm bummed that when I went to install a carb kit on my 075 to make it a runner I noticed a huge gouge in the "bottom" of the cylinder. Now it's put on the very back of my project list. I wanted to be running it before the new year, but it doesn't look like that'll happen.

I'm bummed that when I went to install a carb kit on my 075 to make it a runner I noticed a huge gouge in the "bottom" of the cylinder. Now it's put on the very back of my project list. I wanted to be running it before the new year, but it doesn't look like that'll happen.

Could you put up a picture?

Degreasing it, getting all the old stuck on bar oil and saw dust. Cleaning the cylinder fins. Cleaning a case inside where the PO never cleaned the airfilter it’s baked on saw dust inside the case. There’s a orange citrus cleaner that works really well.

It’s good to put down a old white towel or bed sheet when working on the saw assembly. Flying parts are easier to track down.

Trying to take apart a dolmar 510 that someone else had previously been in and over torqued all of the cylinder bolts. One took about three hours, some heat, then a big hammer and chisel to turn the bolt because it was cross threaded too. I broke a few Allen wrenches in the process.

Accidentally “sproinging” a recoil spring. You know the sound... “spROING!”

Makes me swear like a sailor and consider throwing the saw.
I've dealt with many sproinged springs, and the easiest saw to un-sproing a recoil on is a 372. The pulley has a cup for the spring to go in to so all you have to do is wind it in. Yet another reason to love the perfect saw.

Back