Just bought my stolen saw back

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be concerned that the perpetrators google chainsaws / stolen / recovered and got wind of the law enforcement agenda....-- regardless Congratulations on recovering your your saws I had a backhoe and trailer stolen and 6 years later I saw it less than 10 miles from where it was stolen.. Law enforcement did NOT impress me in the least.... I ended up with it back but it wasn't cheap.. a case of a Lazy Detective
I worked Law Enforcement for a while and got out. Enough said. Sigh!
But it's also Liberal politicans and judges.
If I had my say, I'd be known as The Hanging Judge, reincarnated, Judge Roy Bean, "The Hanging Judge" . My motto is, roll the Dice, Hang em if they get caught twice. Simple! Can't stop crime when criminals are breathing up good air. Have a good day.

If you are doing a rebuild, etch your name and last 4 of your Soc# on case under flywheel.

No question on whose saw it is then.
I've done that. But made a number up that's not my SS. That way they can't get my SS. I used my birthday and the last 4 digits of ss number. Tell the police. This ID number right here is my personal ID. Let a thief explain how your Birthday and last 4 got on that saw. ALSO .under the covers I spray painted Orange or yellow. Clutch covers get a shot of paint. A good number would be a partial cell phone number. Last 4 plus last 4 of year of your birthday. Even my ladders have orange spots. Was at a public Gathering once and brought my folding chair. Some guy took my chair. When I found it he and his friends said it was his. I said .ok how do you explain This? I got my chair back. Good day.

I've done that. But made a number up that's not my SS. That way they can't get my SS. I used my birthday and the last 4 digits of ss number. Tell the police. This ID number right here is my personal ID. Let a thief explain how your Birthday and last 4 got on that saw. ALSO .under the covers I spray painted Orange or yellow. Clutch covers get a shot of paint. A good number would be a partial cell phone number. Last 4 plus last 4 of year of your birthday. Even my ladders have orange spots. Was at a public Gathering once and brought my folding chair. Some guy took my chair. When I found it he and his friends said it was his. I said .ok how do you explain This? I got my chair back. Good day.
Good thinking.

My dad stenciled his name on everything he owned. Minnesota used to give out an ID number upon request and you’ll often find older stuff with an MNID number scribed into it.

My brother in laws father used to sell a lot of used car parts. He’d often get “returns” but his used parts had his info scribed into them then wiped over with grease so it was unnoticeable. He caught many people trying to return their bad parts to him and he’d catch them in the act.

Find a spot on the case and engrave a number. I've got an echo 510 that has at least three different property numbers engraved on it. It used to be owned by state of California.

Subscribed to hear the resolution later on. Thanks for sharing this story.

It seems like the best thing that can happen to a victim of theft is for it to be done by an organized group, that the police actually will investigate.

When you steal a mans tools you take money from the family and his ability to support the family. That’s a big no no in my industry on any job.

My sons future crack head mil ( I didn’t know at the time) was baby sitting and stole my step dads diamond ring that was given to him before he died. It turned up missing, knowing the pawnshop she used it was there. My son threatened him with the police and he gave the ring back to my son. He’s out the cash for buying stolen goods. I would of called the cops anyway, bag her. Of course they don’t talk anymore she’s a sleezebag. Can’t trust anyone not even family.

Not done yet four more to look for.

We had a new local pawn shop that took off all the serial number plates of everything. He went out of business quick. Some of the saws on sleezebay has the serial number plates missing too.

Seems like they are.... though it could be lip service.

Just an FYI; I only ever used the 36" B&C once, for a massive 4ft red oak. It normally wears a 20" or 24".
I think this is the perfect time to completely rebuild it.

There’s the bumper of a car in one picture of the saw maybe they can CSI it to get these interstate thieves? Did you contact eBay about the seller selling stolen goods?

wow you are lucky you got your saw back but im happy you did hard to trust people with your hard earned tools. usually we never no were the stolen property went now you got 2 josereds whoo even better:rock::chainsaw:

Back