Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a lot of cutting with my first saw, the husky 142. I was so pleased to get my first real saw :), then I found out it was a poulan in an orange wrapper :nofunny:, it still cut a lot of wood :yes:.
I think there is a point where a larger saw will get better fuel economy cutting bigger wood with a bigger bar, but on smaller wood it's about the same or the smaller saws get better fuel economy.
I find the same to be true with mowing, you would burn a lot of gas in a rider trying to do what I can on my 60" Exmark :yes:.
Did this one today, wouldn't want to try it with a rider :laugh:. Look at the steps for level, I had my phone tipped slightly downhill.
The right tool for the job is what I prefer.
View attachment 760643 View attachment 760644 View attachment 760645

nice setting. has a bit of a Frank Lloyd Wright look to it, imo

I drove a 700+HP Richard Petty Mustang, and my Mustang (550 HP) would eat it alive! As soon as you breathed on the Petty, it blew the back tires out.

When you get over 400+ HP, it is all about traction and your ability to drive. The exception is these new cars with launch control, you simply can not compete with it with real street tires.

The current Mustang GT, with 460 HP and a 10 speed matic will run the 1/4 in close to 12 seconds flat every time. You just can't compete with that. I have to drive super carefully and get everything just right to break 12.50.

Fire pit night with some friends and about 15 kids all jacked up on ice pops and candy. Should be fun.

View attachment 760867
Looks like it :blob2:.
Is that a large nerf bullet I see, that's how our place looks after the kids have a bunch of friends over, then they get shredded when I mow :surprised3:.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-21 at 10.46.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-21 at 10.46.21 AM.png
    74.8 KB · Views: 19
Chipper you have a 200 and 201cm. How do they compare, power, revs and torque which one do you prefer?
Yes I do, 200 rear handle, 201cm rear handle and the earlier 201c rear handle with a timing advance/mm/limiter removed. The 200 is a factory hotrod and being a hotrod had plenty of problems primarily related to the carbs. When you get them right they scream, I just brought mine up from the basement so I checked the tune, 14.7 no load and sounds good there:chainsaw:. The 201's run well and get better fuel economy, but the 200 beats them in overall cutting efficiency(more torque if that's a thing in a baby saw lol) so you loose what you gain in actual fuel economy if they have the exact same tank size(I'm unsure of that).
I prefer the 200, but I run the 201's more on jobs because I want to keep the 200 in great shape for as long as possible. Although if I needed a small rear handle saw for doing a job with a bunch of invasives I wouldn't shrug off a 201. I would however look at some of the offerings from echo and consider a ported 2511 in the rear handled version even if I had to have one shipped here as I don't think they've made it to the states.
One funny thing I've noticed running the 201cm is I look down to see if it's the standard carb saw because it seems to run a bit fatter than I'd like it to o_O.
I'll see if I can't do a video today of the 200 and the 201cm running together in the same wood since I've had a few guys ask about them.

He said casually :laugh:.
Yep, better deal than 300 for a used ms290 or a 455 rancher, did you casually buy one yet :popcorn2::lol:.
Nope and probably won’t.

I only have 4 cords left to cut for this year and was planing to flog the SXL through that stuff.

A friend says he has a bunch of dead saws for me so I’m going to see what he comes up with first.

I do have my eye on a couple of small saws for sale locally. One has been on marketplace for weeks and if it drops a few more dollars it will be mine.

Yes I do, 200 rear handle, 201cm rear handle and the earlier 201c rear handle with a timing advance/mm/limiter removed. The 200 is a factory hotrod and being a hotrod had plenty of problems primarily related to the carbs. When you get them right they scream, I just brought mine up from the basement so I checked the tune, 14.7 no load and sounds good there:chainsaw:. The 201's run well and get better fuel economy, but the 200 beats them in overall cutting efficiency(more torque if that's a thing in a baby saw lol) so you loose what you gain in actual fuel economy if they have the exact same tank size(I'm unsure of that).
I prefer the 200, but I run the 201's more on jobs because I want to keep the 200 in great shape for as long as possible. Although if I needed a small rear handle saw for doing a job with a bunch of invasives I wouldn't shrug off a 201. I would however look at some of the offerings from echo and consider a ported 2511 in the rear handled version even if I had to have one shipped here as I don't think they've made it to the states.
One funny thing I've noticed running the 201cm is I look down to see if it's the standard carb saw because it seems to run a bit fatter than I'd like it to o_O.
I'll see if I can't do a video today of the 200 and the 201cm running together in the same wood since I've had a few guys ask about them.
Those saws look cool but that msrp sends me a running!

Down in the city at mom's house. Dads legacy lives on. Lol.
f2bf69bd0af6b47d45fdbebbb3f83fb7.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

i know but i need a young buck to climb the ladder and tie a rope for pullin. :innocent:
A big shot makes easy work of it, but if you don't use it often you could tie a carabiner to a line and use that as it's a bit cheaper :).
There are cheaper options than this one on the same page.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Notch-Big-Shot-Throw-Line-Launcher-Deluxe-Kit-SET1025/207156149
Here's how I attach my throw bag to the throw line, but I keep it all closer to the ring on the throw bag so it doesn't get snagged up.

I use the knot at 1:50 to tie my rope to the throw line.

Then I send a running bowline up to the stem I've isolated.
I use this technique to tie the bowline or running bowline.

I use variations of an alpine butterfly or a bowline to attach the rope to the tractor or whatever else I'm pulling with. One thing I try to do especially on a hard pull is to get a couple wraps on whatever I'm pulling with before the knot so the knot doesn't get pulled to tight(they call that a knife knot, meaning get your knife out and cut it :surprised3:.

Looks like it :blob2:.
Is that a large nerf bullet I see, that's how our place looks after the kids have a bunch of friends over, then they get shredded when I mow :surprised3:.

Yup I hate those freaking things when it’s time to mow. I do the same thing, hilarious that you said that. :laugh:

Oh, I bet it might... :numberone:
If it can't stop and turn to match the go I'm not interested. The trans am in the pic I posted has C5 Z06 brakes all around and suspension to match. Runs 11.7 on street legal drag rubber and has embarrased porches and Corvette's at VIR. All around performance is more important to me then straight line speed.

Back