Trappers please help catch a #$@*(&% Groundhog

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smoke them out. I’d set a generator or a y gasoline engine next to the hole and start pumping exhaust into the hole.
And leave the accessible hole open so when they come out you can club them over the ****ing head for some revenge!

upload_2019-9-20_16-23-35.gif

Don’t forget to get it on video.

When I was a kid my dad found a whistle pig hole in our pasture. We had been putting anhydrous ammonia on the crop ground (spring time). The old man pulled the nurse tank out to the hole & stuck the transfer nozzle in the hole with the valve open & opened the tank valve for about 30 - 40 seconds. Never seen the whistle pig again!! All the next summer you could see right where the tunnel was due to the grass being really dead:buttkick:

And leave the accessible hole open so when they come out you can club them over the ****ing head for some revenge!

View attachment 760834

Don’t forget to get it on video.

The other option we did as kids for gophers was to stick the garden hose in the hole. But with gophers. They usually have 10 or more holes so you need all your friends over for the killing spree.

Quality air rifle or 22LR. We used to do farm fields with a .222 Rem.

If traps are legal I put them right at hole entrance, be careful if you have pets, and you might get a skunk. Legholds you can release, conibears it's DOA.

For quick and dead I use these "bombs". Seal all holes except one, add lit bomb, shovel over that one. Recommended when you just see them run down the burrow, and you know they are home. Look like a 1/4 stick of dynamite , but just makes gas.

giant destroyer.png

I used to have a good ole big mutt, that would catch them, then eat them.

The other option we did as kids for gophers was to stick the garden hose in the hole. But with gophers. They usually have 10 or more holes so you need all your friends over for the killing spree.

I've done the garden hose method. But I put a manure fork in front of the hole and when the woodchuck tries to get out, he only gets his nose between the tines. Then he gets an air rifle pellet, and becomes fertilizer right back down the hole.

The dog in my profile pic is my ground hog trap. Also works on skunks, raccoons, possums, snakes, turtles, and occasionally rabbits and squirrels. But you can't have him, so 12 gauge is the best bet, 22lr if you need to be quite, .177 pellet if you need to be very quiet.

The dog in my profile pic is my ground hog trap. Also works on skunks, raccoons, possums, snakes, turtles, and occasionally rabbits and squirrels. But you can't have him, so 12 gauge is the best bet, 22lr if you need to be quite, .177 pellet if you need to be very quiet.

Be careful he don't get educated about porcupines. I had a few dogs that learned the hard way.

Had an ex-girlfriend, with a white samoyed . It got into a skunk, and she tried the tomato juice remedy for smell. It didn't work, and the dog got the nickname, "stinky pinky"

I hate the Gawd darn A Holes who move there problems to some one elses property because they are so stinking lily livered that they can't dispach the unwanted critter.

Caught the jerk that dumped a dog at my place, even got his picture. Would have cost $10.00 to drop at the pound. the fine for dumping was $250.00.

22lr if you have a little room, 220 Swift if you have a lot of room.

I caught one earlier this summer in my root celler, when I heard the noises in there thought was a skunk as I had smelt one very early in the morning near it. Set the Live trap and checked the next day and a little whistle pig was in it.
Glad it wasn't the skunk I had thought.
Loaded it in the tractor bucket and took it back in the woods and let it loose.
It found the uprooted cherry tree back there and dug a borrow. see it every so often.

:D Al

Connibear over the hole there a very active critter you could set in the morning and keep an eye on it if he’s in there no doubt you’d get him in a day.. I’m at 11 this year it works

Conis work great, unless you get neighbors/your cat.

I did leg holds , and caught my own cat, once. She was sore a week but fine after that. Coni she'd be dead.

Always check any traps twice+ a day.

Anybody do, Fur Fish Game, magazine? Lots to learn there..........

Back