Name the chain...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
214B8C9D-A179-4C4A-B0E6-F4F11ADC3417.jpeg Hey guys,

I got this chain with a saw. I want to sharpen it using my stihl 2 in 1 saw sharpener but I have heard that only normal chains can be sharpened with it. I’m not sure what that ridge is in between the teeth / links?

Your time in responding will be much appreciated!!

Just safety chain. Never used a 2 in1 file. Just free hand for me. May be a good chain to try free hand and do some more learning.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Nothing I like but low kickback.

When your cutters get shaved back from filing, and the rakers taken down, those $#@!g bumps on the connecting links will be the rakers. Try filing those safety bumps down.

I run my chains until I break a cutter off. But I take care of rakers in meantime. Those safety chains will stop cutting when safety bumps are bigger than rakers.

My chains cut great until I break off a cutter from wear.

If a saw newbie, use the safety chain first. Learn to use saw..........

Never seen that style before looks like a real pia to lower the raker. However looks like a slightly easier job than the knurled rakers I normally see. Once you get to the point of lowering the raker substantially to keep up with your sharpening I would just toss it.

Back