What's a cord nowadays?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krc2019

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently bought some firewood from a guy and it was substantially less than what I was expecting. He has ads on Craigslist advertising oak firewood cut/split/delivered for $200 per cord. I ordered 10 cords from him. He made the first delivery with his trailer and told me it was 2.5 cords and it was $500. Since it was 2.5 cords I started stacking a pile 24' long and 5' high and 16" deep expecting to have two rows. Well, I got one row and I'm being generous if I said the second row is 1' high. So it looks like it was 0.9 cords short (MN cut/split cord is 120 cu ft when stacked) of what I paid for.

I contacted the guy asking him to make it right before delivering the next load. In the end the crux of the issue is he and I disagree on how much volume is in a cord. He very graciously offered to bring me more wood to make it right for the one load, but I declined since we are too far apart to continue doing business together. I've been burning firewood for 20 years, and I've never had such a wide discrepancy.

Here's a picture of the 2.5 cords I received and paid $500 for and an excerpt from the MN statute. So I come to you, the experts. Is this 2.5 cords of wood?

WcjM6hn

QOBM6tV

Attachments

• IMG_5432.JPG
    IMG_5432.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 113
  • IMG_5433.PNG
    IMG_5433.PNG
    159.3 KB · Views: 107
The statute you provided says that sawn wood is 110 cubic feet per cord.

You said you received 24 feet wide by 6 feet high (5+1) by 1.333 feet (16/12), or about 192 cubic feet. 192/110 = 1.7.

2.5 cords at 110 cubic feet per cord would be 275 cubic feet.

You said you received 24 feet wide by 6 feet high (5+1) by 1.333 feet (16/12), or about 192 cubic feet. 192/110 = 1.7.

A cord is defined as 128 cubic ft, 4x4x8=128, 3rows ,8’ long , 4’ high.

I come up with 1.6cds. @ 120 cf per cord of c/s/delivered..

I have heard this come up time after time, a lot of people cutting wood today don't have a clue how much a cord is. But they get by on account of 90% of the people they sell to have no idea how much a cord is either. It all falls back to no one is held accountable for their actions. It really burns my ass. It takes a sorry sob to sell wood like that. I am off the soap box now , no wait this face cord **** is just as bad. I am done now

He very graciously offered to bring me more wood to make it right for the one load, but I declined since we are too far apart to continue doing business together.
QOBM6tV

Huh? Sorry but I don't think I understand this. You got shorted, called the guy out, he offered to fix it, and you declined because he'd have to drive too far? Or maybe your ideas of a "cord" are too far apart. Either way, let him bring the rest of the load and then find another supplier. Unless I'm missing something.

I think he means too far apart in business agreement. But either way, swallow your pride and get the extra he was trying to make right and end it then. Otherwise you’ll always talk bad about him and not decent about a guy who was misinformed and tried to correct it.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5328581.pdf

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3799687.pdf

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5298774.pdf

https://www.thoughtco.com/measuring-and-understanding-wood-volumes-1341680

https://www.britannica.com/science/cord

I’m going with 128cu ft is a cord.

The statue also covers cut and split wood. Then it is supposed to be 120 cubic feet stacked or 175 cubic feet thrown irregularly. I bought it cut and split.

cant argue with the spec's you posted as legal... next time dealing with an unknown vendor, ask for reference's!! or ask a neighbor where they get their wood from!!!

Funny you should mention that. I saw my neighbor in church this morning and he offered to give me 5 cords of oak for free. I did offer to pay him but he won't take the money. He said a guy was supposed to haul it away this summer but hasn't shown up and he's getting tired of having it around and wants it gone before the snow flies.

Huh? Sorry but I don't think I understand this. You got shorted, called the guy out, he offered to fix it, and you declined because he'd have to drive too far? Or maybe your ideas of a "cord" are too far apart. Either way, let him bring the rest of the load and then find another supplier. Unless I'm missing something.

I feel strongly in my position that he shorted me, but I also acknowledge I could be mistaken and what he sold me was acceptable by whatever the firewood standards are these days. If I am mistaken I don't want to take something from him for free.

I think he means too far apart in business agreement. But either way, swallow your pride and get the extra he was trying to make right and end it then. Otherwise you’ll always talk bad about him and not decent about a guy who was misinformed and tried to correct it.

You are correct. His definition of a cord and my definition of a cord are so far apart we are unable to compromise. I will not speak ill of him, in fact, I tried to highlight the good he did by offering to bring whatever wood I thought I was due. I will not do business with him in the future, but I respect him for offering to make it right even though we disagree. He feels just as strongly that he's right as I feel as strongly that I am right.

I'll bet the sheriff would be happy to explain the law to both of you, and might even help you come to an agreement. But I doubt that you will be doing further business together.

A cord is defined as 128 cubic ft, 4x4x8=128, 3rows ,8’ long , 4’ high.

That is how it works where I live, and the law even says the seller must supply a receipt that includes the
  • Name and address of the seller
  • Date of sale
  • Quantity and dimensions of the wood (when ranked and well stowed)
  • The price
In New York State this is regulated by the Department of Agriculture and Markets.

But the law where the OP lives is different.

KRC I am glad you are not my customer. When I encounter any problem with a customer I smile at them and say wood will be loaded up immediately for removal. After trucks or trailers are loaded I again smile please do not call me again. Or you could say I do not take complaints well. If I beleive that there are any issues with the initial phone call I let customer know that we will not have any agreement. What does all this mean? When you call some one on CL you know that they are not likely pros. I am sure you have a phone book that lists people who have been in business for many years. If you tell them that you want a full measured seasoned cord you will get it. They in turn will tell what the cost will be likely twice as much as some one from CL will quote you. So who is right? If you shop around you will make the best decision that will give you the best value. Seeing that you made a post in September likely means that your transaction occurred recently. Your concluded transaction for wood should be completed in April or May. When customers call now I know they are much more desperate than earlier in the year. Last winter wood sold for in excess of $1200 a cord here as a result of a long cold winter. If you called asking for 16'' wood that means paying an extra $100 a cord. Yes my biggest seller is good seasoned Oak. My normal size is 18'' with some times 24''. Cutting selling and delivering wood for wood stoves or fireplaces is not very lucrative so after 50 years I know that I am not going to give my effort for free. The competitors throw a pile into their pickup and deliver away. It is rare that any one sells a full cord regardless of price. Maybe 1/2 cord for a cord. Now and then a customer calls telling me that they tried the rest and never got any where near a cord of junk. I am glad you are here welcome. I am looking at at reality from a vendors point of view. You are responsible for getting the best value possible from your hard earned money. Thanks

I feel strongly in my position that he shorted me, but I also acknowledge I could be mistaken and what he sold me was acceptable by whatever the firewood standards are these days. If I am mistaken I don't want to take something from him for free.

I'd be curious to hear his definition of a cord. Seems pretty clear to me that it's 128 cubic feet. If he can show anything to the contrary I'd sure like to see it.

Back