stihl 034 av oil reservoir

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpan

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi all - new to the forum here, but have lurked over the years, finding answers to questions as I've worked on other saws.

I'm working on a friend's stihl 034 av and noticed that somehow, there is an oil cap INSIDE of the oil reservoir. I have no idea how this could have happened since the cap seems to be bigger than the hole it threads into. I'm not sure if someone serviced it in the past, disassembled it, and left it in there, or if the older style of cap could somehow be screwed down into the tank. I've been turning wrenches for years and this is a first!

My question is...is there any way to get it out of the oil reservoir without splitting the saw?

Pictures?

A big set of hemostats with curved tips. If that won't do it, grab it then slice up with a dremel.

Thanks! I was actually able to fish it out. Used long needle nose, and got the threads to catch, then unscrewed it. Not sure how that ever happened. Next step is to rebuild the carb. It's full of saw dust, varnish, and hard gaskets.

I rebuilt one 044 that had 3 fuel caps in its tank, all screwed in so tight they broke off the sealing lip and someone screwed them on through into the tank. I did the same with long thin needlenose pliers, threaded them back out.:surprised3:

I rebuilt one 044 that had 3 fuel caps in its tank, all screwed in so tight they broke off the sealing lip and someone screwed them on through into the tank. I did the same with long thin needlenose pliers, threaded them back out.:surprised3:

wow! thats what looks like happened here too, i'm just glad it came out!

I have a real big set of curved hemostats (~15"?). They are great for installing/removing fuel lines too.

I need to get another set, as sometimes they are in with my fishing stuff, if catching big pike or bluefish

I have excessive amounts of tools from a lifetime of mechanical work, fills 5 tool boxes plus a couple pickup loads of electric and air stuff so well covered for any issues that may arise, good to have tools.

Understood, but does ya have those big, long, curved hemostats?

If not, try it, you'll like it. Trust me, maybe $10 for good stainless ones.

If ya fish, great for pike/pickerel/bluefish.

If you get some, and don't like them, I'll buy them and pay shipping.

I have excessive amounts of tools from a lifetime of mechanical work, fills 5 tool boxes plus a couple pickup loads of electric and air stuff so well covered for any issues that may arise, good to have tools.

PG600 these are what you need!!!hemostats.png

Edit: never have excessive amounts of tools. I have two homes, but sometimes some tools are not at the house I need them at, and it's 30 miles away.........

Had to take a chevy steering column apart last week, special tool to compress steering lock was at other place.......

Common stuff I have two + sets. Tractor has it's own set, so do trucks.

But torches, welders, compressors, presses, lathes, "special tools" , are hard to have two sets. But I'm working on it!

Understood, but does ya have those big, long, curved hemostats?

If not, try it, you'll like it. Trust me, maybe $10 for good stainless ones.

If ya fish, great for pike/pickerel/bluefish.

If you get some, and don't like them, I'll buy them and pay shipping.

Have plenty of stainless steel hemostats, my wife is a nurse, been in the hospital system for 34 years..;)

PG600 these are what you need!!!View attachment 761181
Edit: never have excessive amounts of tools. I have two homes, but sometimes some tools are not at the house I need them at, and it's 30 miles away.........
Had to take a chevy steering column apart last week, special tool to compress steering lock was at other place.......
Common stuff I have two + sets. Tractor has it's own set, so do trucks.
But torches, welders, compressors, presses, lathes, "special tools" , are hard to have two sets. But I'm working on it!

Same situation here . . . two major dwellings where big tools are needed. I find myself often wishing for my MIG welder and shop press. Recently bought a small Harbor Freight compressor to have some portability with air tools. However, in the big picture, it's one of those problems to be thankful for . . . like complaining about how much tax you have to pay.

A few years back I got a porter cable refurb portable air compressor. Real deal oil pump/135 psi, two small tanks (not a pancake) ~ 5-gal. Works great. But I think they discontined them? not sure why.

I have a portable 7-gal tank I connect it too and that gives enough capacity for most use. Besides tools I really need air for equipment tires. The portable tank with 135 psi in it will fill up a rear farm tractor tire.

Latest posts

Back