Addicted to 50cc !

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Hogden

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
G'day lads.
Is it just me or do other people have a collection of 50cc saws?
I have
Shindaiwa 488p (ported)
Makita DCS500 (ported)
Stihl 026 (ported)
Echo CS500 (stock)
Stihl MS250 stock.
My collection is growing.
My next purchase will definitely be a Shindaiwa 501sx. Those bad boys are a pro saw weighing in at 4.7kg
Now i know that power is only at 2.6kw. But my intention is to port it and modify it to get as close to the benchmark, which is Stihl/Husky at 3.0kw.
Can you imagine how awesome a 4.7kg pro saw would be with 3.0kw?
I definitely have CAD

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

50cc saws suit the size of wood we have around here so that's what I have. There's no need to drag a heavy 70cc saw around when all the trees are under 20 inches.
Im running modded Chinese 54 and 61cc Zenoah clones that weigh the same amount as most 50cc pro saws, they're not the same quality wise but they're fast and start great.

You need to step up to a 346XP, 550XP Mk II, or a MS261 Mk II!!! THOSE saws will change your game!
Actually my local Stihl shop has a new 261cm sitting on the shelf atm. I pick it up every time I go in there. It looks soooo nice.
I would like a Husky too, but i won't step foot into the local Husqvarna dealership as he ripped me off bad on a 440 and 556 that I got from them a couple of years back.
Brad I would love to see what you could do with the Shindy 501sx / Echo 501p

In the past, we cut a lot of larger wood 26-34", so I was using my 266XP and 3120XP.

I had no Idea just how much I "NEEDED";):), a Good 50cc saw, UNTIL I picked up a Nice used Husky 353:surprised3::surprised3:, I then added a 550XP, and my Wife got a 445 for Christmas in 2017, YES, She Actually ASKED for a Saw of her OWN:surprised3::):):):).

This year, the wood has been a bit smaller, and the 50's have been the "Go To" saws for probably 90% of the 15 or so cords that we cut, the 390XP and 266XP got some use, but now, the 3120XP, doesn't go on many Firewood Expeditions, it is just used for milling, and not enough at that. I do go start the Beast once in awhile, just so it doesn't sit too much

I have been keeping an eye out for a 346XP, I hear that there is some MAGIC involved with them;)

I added a 390XP, at the same time I bought the 550XP, and have a 395XP, in transit, it has been "Suggested" that I MAY be developing a case of CAD, Blasphemy and Hersey, I tell ya, but it has been "Suggested":rolleyes::innocent::laughing:

Yep, I've developed an Appreciation for those 50's, down right Handy saws to have around

Doug :cheers:

You need to step up to a 346XP, 550XP Mk II, or a MS261 Mk II!!! THOSE saws will change your game!
I don't know anything about a 346xp. So I looked them up.
On paper they don't look anything super special.
2.7kw, 5kg.
Am I missing something?

I love 50 cc saws! Not much more (in some cases no more) weight than the 40 cc class saws and much more power. Muff mod and timing and advance and you are nipping at the heels of the 60 cc saws.

I don't know anything about a 346xp. So I looked them up.
On paper they don't look anything super special.
2.7kw, 5kg.
Am I missing something?

You can't always go by what's on paper

A Chevy 350 is Bigger than a 327, right?

You won't find many Racers that would choose a 350 over a 327 on the track

"On Paper" and "On the Pavement"are Totally Different things ;)

So are "On Paper" and "In the Wood"

The 346XP has an almost Cult like following

Doug :cheers:

For me, 50cc was the one class of saw I could comfortably use for any task, if need be.
The "original" (apart from the 254 starter) 154SE in my avatar has been with me for 33 years.
I also had a Husky 50 with a Partner 5000+ cylinder and piston until it was stolen 20 years ago.
These days I'm happy with a "lowly" but lightweight, 37cc Zenoah-derived Homelite as my everyday machine, the 154 geting a run on special occasions.

For me, 50cc was the one class of saw I could comfortably use for any task, if need be.
The "original" (apart from the 254 starter) 154SE in my avatar has been with me for 33 years.
I also had a Husky 50 with a Partner 5000+ cylinder and piston until it was stolen 20 years ago.
These days I'm happy with a "lowly" but lightweight, 37cc Zenoah-derived Homelite as my everyday machine, the 154 geting a run on special occasions.
Husqvarna 50 was my first saw, bought it new in 1985. Still have it and it still runs very good. I'm very fond of it.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

My small collection of the 50CC is small compared to others. However so is my bank account.It seems to me as if you are able to afford these hot rods, then I am happy for you. My Echo CS 490 is the first on my hit list. With a muffler mod it is pretty darn quick. Next is my fire breathing Husky 51. A simple muffler mod woke this one up substantially.My third is the Stihl 025. Not much performance but still a great limbing saw.What it all boils down to is how much a person is able to afford, and still send the bank there mortgage payment out on time.

I just have one 50cc saw. Echo CS520. It was my dad's 'big' saw. I put a new bar and chain on it, tuned it for 40:1 mix, and it's my go-to saw for most 'normal sized' firewood cutting.
Dare I say, I have no need for another 50cc saw?

I'm getting old and getting shorter, hate when that happens....... but still love lifted trucks with headers and big cams.

Still love to hear a big cc saw RIP through Oak but unfortunately about all I can handle now is 50 cc's.......I'm ok with that.

Back