Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem buying AM kits and building for profit is buy the time you buy the AM kit, pay shipping, pay someone to build it for you, pay for the OEM parts to make it half decent then pay them to ship it too you is the cost is now in the realm of buying a good low hour real saw that is build to last 2000hrs. I bought a OEM MS660 here on AS with less than 5 tanks run through it, a 36" & 20" Stihl bars, 4 loops of chain for $700. I did this 3 years ago, have rune the snot out of that saw and its NEVER failed once to do what I've wanted. I could likely get close to my money back now. An AM saw after 3 years use (if still working) won't be desirable to anyone. I think the AM kits make sense if you build them yourself, and have other saws to depend on for your cutting needs. And at the end of the day I'm not a big fan supporting a country that prides itself on stealing intellectual property from other countries then sells it back to us in the form of sub standard product that is often dangerous without any repercussion or accountability.

The problem buying AM kits and building for profit is buy the time you buy the AM kit, pay shipping, pay someone to build it for you, pay for the OEM parts to make it half decent then pay them to ship it too you is the cost is now in the realm of buying a good low hour real saw that is build to last 2000hrs. I bought a OEM MS660 here on AS with less than 5 tanks run through it, a 36" & 20" Stihl bars, 4 loops of chain for $700. I did this 3 years ago, have rune the snot out of that saw and its NEVER failed once to do what I've wanted. I could likely get close to my money back now. An AM saw after 3 years use (if still working) won't be desirable to anyone. I think the AM kits make sense if you build them yourself, and have other saws to depend on for your cutting needs. And at the end of the day I'm not a big fan supporting a country that prides itself on stealing intellectual property from other countries then sells it back to us in the form of sub standard product that is often dangerous without any repercussion or accountability.

I agree with this line of thinking, which is why I am not trying to convince OEM guys to change their opinions, but merely trying to connect with people who feel this way as well. Too many people take offense when anyone even speaks about them....I just like to build them for fun, then sell them to people (knowing full well that they are aftermarket) for a fair price.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/the-good-guys-of-as.334829/ :popcorn2:

Nope, just potential. A little teardown, cleaning, and inspection. Some troubleshooting. After everything is torn down it's just like the kit saws, except with quality parts and you end up with something that's worth something when you're done...
Fitting.... The other guy I was arguing with finally mentions you.... After you speak up twice without being acknowledged.... Near the end of the 2nd page.... But thank you for sharing that you have one digital friend that finally sent you a wink.
I honestly meant real friends.. people who invite you to go fishing with them on the weekends.. is there anyone who actually wants to smell your cheese breath all day while you flap your gums about how you feel??

Does anyone even like this guy?? I mean seriously...
Sure, Tim is a nice guy. He just does not agree with you and is willing to put it in writing, what is the problem with that? You like to support china manufacturers and he does not, what is the problem with that? He is just stating you can build a nice running saw from nice used or new oem parts for the same or less money, what is wrong there? I have also done that many times, what is the problem of informing guys there is an option to purchasing Chinese made saws? If people what to pay you to assemble kit saw, it is their money, no problem with that. But, for me if I would buy one all ready assembled and ready to run for less money. Why not just assemble a kit saw, state it as a kit and list it on trading post for x amount of dollars? You could show your assembly, parts changed, add touches and sell them.

Fitting.... The other guy I was arguing with finally mentions you.... After you speak up twice without being acknowledged.... Near the end of the 2nd page.... But thank you for sharing that you have one digital friend that finally sent you a wink.
I honestly meant real friends.. people who invite you to go fishing with them on the weekends.. is there anyone who actually wants to smell your cheese breath all day while you flap your gums about how you feel??
I can't imagine why anyone else would want to argue with you:laughing:.

I'm not sure what disdain for junk China saws has to do with likeability. The friends I hang out with don't like them either. At least they don't use them when we hang out. I did read about a GTG in TN last year where there was a challenge to build and race a China kit saw. Any guess what the majority of them decided about them after the whole exercise?

Sure, Tim is a nice guy. He just does not agree with you and is willing to put it in writing, what is the problem with that? You like to support china manufacturers and he does not, what is the problem with that? He is just stating you can build a nice running saw from nice used or new oem parts for the same or less money, what is wrong there? I have also done that many times, what is the problem of informing guys there is an option to purchasing Chinese made saws? If people what to pay you to assemble kit saw, it is their money, no problem with that. But, for me if I would buy one all ready assembled and ready to run for less money. Why not just assemble a kit saw, state it as a kit and list it on trading post for x amount of dollars? You could show your assembly, parts changed, add touches and sell them.

I agree with all of this statement. The point of the original, original post was to connect with people who were interested in them... Not as a means to push an agenda, but as an option for people who were interested in them to know that there are others who feel the same way, I have been selling them already and was not intending to be a "seller" on AS with no intention of changing anyone's opinion on either OEM or AM. Just as a contact for people because everyone knows how a lot of people feel on this site about them so it hinders them from speaking freely. Rearview and I are bickering like children over a Lego toy because of his opinion being the "only" one that matters. So I provided a thread for each side of the argument. I couldn't care less if a person uses OEM or aftermarket, it is the individual's choice. I am simply able to build them IF someone is interested. I have no intention of changing ANYONE'S OPINION.

If anyone is intimidated by someone else's internet opinion, they have issues. Just sayin'. Whenever China saws are touted it's as the "cheap alternative" and it's simply not true.

I can't imagine why anyone else would want to argue with you:laughing:.

I'm not sure what disdain for junk China saws has to do with likeability. The friends I hang out with don't like them either. At least they don't use them when we hang out. I did read about a GTG in TN last year where there was a challenge to build and race a China kit saw. Any guess what the majority of them decided about them after the whole exercise?
Don't care.... Their opinion is not the only opinion. I these threads were not intended to further the argument about quality.... Did you read the ****** post?? There are big bold words that explain it entirely!

Don't care.... Their opinion is not the only opinion. I these threads were not intended to further the argument about quality.... Did you read the ****** post?? There are big bold words that explain it entirely!
Then why do you feel the need to explain it? If it's ok for us to have that opinion, S T F U.

Well said

The amount of China crap saws I see having issues. I’d pay double Msrp for a OEM husky or Stihl.

Everything from:

Plastics cracking
Carbs won’t hold a tune
Bars ware extremely fast
Throttle linkage failing
Bad vibrations.
ECT....

But the most frustrating thing is when a saw won’t ****ing start. That POS gets tossed in the bush.

Ranch owner down from me bought 3x Chinese 50cc saws to have on the tractor and quads. In 2 months we have managed to have one left running and 2 parts saws.

And one rancher that saws “I should have bought a real saw”.

there are some massive threads on site for building huztl/farmtec saws, they are what they are, for a homeowner who likes to fiddle with engines they are cheap alternative
as a firewood heater who pulls trees off very steep hills when i take a saw in the woods i want to be sure it will not crap out on me, so far stock stihl and makita/dolmar have been heating my home, but i have received some parts for a bunch of stihls that need work and found the fuel lines are not worth using, have yet to put a cylinder/piston in one but will try it out eventually. it might work out as a bucking saw at the wood shed, but to take it up the mountain i'm not so sure.
just $0.02 from an old phart

If anyone is intimidated by someone else's internet opinion, they have issues. Just sayin'. Whenever China saws are touted it's as the "cheap alternative" and it's simply not true.
Not intimidated, just sick of listening to the argument. Nobody, including me, is saying that they are better.... Just another option for people who are unable to come across deals like you are, let alone use parts from a weed eater to make them run. And people like you, that have such an audible opinion and disdain for them cause other people to not open up publicly about their opinion for fear of being ridiculed. I am simply standing here against you and letting people know that there are other opinions, and if a cheaper, yet lower quality saw, will fill their needs, then I can and will help. I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else that they are better... However, the ones that I build, I will stand behind.... WITHOUT QUESTION.

Then why do you feel the need to explain it? If it's ok for us to have that opinion, S T F U.
It was my ****** thread, I didn't want your opinion! I asked you to s t f u so someone else could talk. I never intended to sell YOU a fuggin saw. I wanted to talk to other people with MY opinion, on My thread. Not yours. As far as my experience, I have built 40 660s, 30 372s, 5 070s, 5 440s, 10 361s, 6 360s, 4 380s, 2 200ts, and I am sure I missed a few. I absolutely do not need to justify a damn thing to you, but most of those are on YouTube as I said if you want to verify that you can. I have sold most of those through eBay, and my feedback is 100%, which is also verifiable. It would be inappropriate for me to offer phone numbers of my customers, but I would love to stick that in your throat as well. From here out, let's just not speak to each other... I'll allow you the final word, make it good

Haha. Funny thing is, I didnt even post much in that thread. Mostly just that I was watching because I'd seen some of your posts and I knew a dumpster fire was coming. And now you've created two threads with different opinions and you're pissed off when you ended up getting exactly what you wanted.

Latest posts

Back