Full Skip for full house

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin Taylor

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was trying to cut some wet oak with a brand new Stihl yellow chain it was barely cutting, 20 in bar and it was fully in the wood, Would a full skip be faster?

Where you at in MN? I got plenty of bars and chains you could swap around and find what you like. Got a loop of full skip on a 28" light bar on my 440 right now. I'm just across the border from the twin cities.

But in short, no it will still not be faster on a 25" bar, especially in hardwood. If the saw was "barely cutting" there's an issue somewhere. Depth gauges, poor grind from the factory, sand in the bark, etc.

Where you at in MN? I got plenty of bars and chains you could swap around and find what you like. Got a loop of full skip on a 28" light bar on my 440 right now. I'm just across the border from the twin cities.

But in short, no it will still not be faster on a 25" bar, especially in hardwood. If the saw was "barely cutting" there's an issue somewhere. Depth gauges, poor grind from the factory, sand in the bark, etc.
Scott county but it cut just fine in pine but I’ve never cut into large chunks of oak so I don’t know how fast it should be cutting at

I run full skip chisel on all my saws. Faster? I don't remember. It works, and 1/2 the cutters to sharpen makes good sense to me. I cut with lots of different people and after a while they are all running full skip chisel.

In hard wood with a small bar skip chain is usless IMHO, unless you want your tooth fillings to fall out.. A 70cc saw should be able to run Full comp up to 28" no problem. I run full comp on everything all the way up to 42" smoother, faster. Only drawback is more teeth to sharpen, on a little 20" bar that's not an issue though.[emoji111]

I timed my ms460 with skip chain and full comp.

Full comp was faster and smoother feeling while cutting. On a 20” and 25” bar.

I run skip on all my stuff now except my ms170. Faster to sharpen is the main reason.

I was trying to cut some wet oak with a brand new Stihl yellow chain it was barely cutting, 20 in bar and it was fully in the wood, Would a full skip be faster?

Touch up the cutters and check the rakers.

You mentioned a farmertec 440, any respectable stihl 044/440/038M wouldn't even slow down with a 20" bar.

.040 rakers ????
Jeeses Chrrrist.

.025 is PLENTY

There has to be 1001 threads on filing, raker height, angles, and so forth on arboristsite.

In the interest of pointing it out, I will challenge anybody with rakers that low to a competition. Bring it on. :popcorn2:
We will set it up, and race it.

My point is that there is a limited amount of power you can put on a 3/8 chain. File the rakers completely off and replace the power head with a Ford 390. I wonder why the chain snapped off??

.040 rakers ????
Jeeses Chrrrist.

.025 is PLENTY

There has to be 1001 threads on filing, raker height, angles, and so forth on arboristsite.

In the interest of pointing it out, I will challenge anybody with rakers that low to a competition. Bring it on. :popcorn2:

My point is that there is a limited amount of power you can put on a 3/8 chain. File the rakers completely off and replace the power head with a Ford 390. I wonder why the chain snapped off??

raker 0.025" is about right in hardwood

In softwoods you can probably get by with that low of a raker setup with a short enough bar. I usually am ~.028-.030 in softies. Hardwood chains are about where Stihl wants them at .025-.026.

Full comp. Everything out to a 3 footer. Hardwoods or softwoods. Keep your chain out of the dirt. Skip is rough, likes to kick and generally dulls faster.

.040 rakers ????
Jeeses Chrrrist.

.025 is PLENTY

Me too. It's surely not due to that Ford engine.
{Flame suit on :D }

Back