Runnin' Loads

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran a load down to my brother in Melbourne on the weekend. My SIL hasn't seen the new Ranger before and thinks it is massive, and that the load of wood was enormous. It's about 2/3 cord in total - not big by North American standards. Stihl, my brother and SIL are happy so that's good. She told me that they heated through the whole winter with the wood that I provided which gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling. Don's an accountant and does our tax returns. I swing saws for recreation and exercise and hate doing tax stuff. So it works out.

View attachment 760135

View attachment 760136

The wood is mostly swamp gum (e.ovata) which is a low-medium density eucalypt which is a bit ashy. Not my favourite wood but as they say, it all burns. There's some peppermint (e.radiata) which is both denser and less ashy in there as well. As far as Don is concerned, free wood is good wood and he can't really tell the difference between top grade firewood and trash anyway.
That's funny that Victoria is "the place to be", our town is "the next place to be" lol.

That's funny that Victoria is "the place to be", our town is "the next place to be" lol.

For donkey's years the plates had "Victoria - Garden State" on them. Then we had a staunch conservative in charge in the 90's who changed it to "Victoria - On The Move". Said conservative also cleared out the dead wood ( :sweet: ) in the public service and not just balanced the budget but paid off all state debt....but upset enough people in the process that we then got a soft left state gummint that hated the conservative predecessor so they had to change the license plates to the less inspiring "Victoria - the place to be". We now have a hard left gummint who is turning the state into a cesspit. I am grateful to be reasonably well insulated from that by living about as far from the state capital as possible.

For donkey's years the plates had "Victoria - Garden State" on them. Then we had a staunch conservative in charge in the 90's who changed it to "Victoria - On The Move". Said conservative also cleared out the dead wood ( :sweet: ) in the public service and not just balanced the budget but paid off all state debt....but upset enough people in the process that we then got a soft left state gummint that hated the conservative predecessor so they had to change the license plates to the less inspiring "Victoria - the place to be". We now have a hard left gummint who is turning the state into a cesspit. I am grateful to be reasonably well insulated from that by living about as far from the state capital as possible.
Same here, I live as far as it gets from the state capital. The last hearing they had on banning every thing short of an ancient sling with pebbles, our local sherrif took the floor and said,”if you pass these laws, we will not enforce them”. It’s sad how the few, work into positions of power, and rule the many.

Here's the load of oak I got today,

standard.jpg

It's about 1-1/2 cords...

SR

The red S10 I had, got sent down the road in 2012, when I bought the then new, Colorado.

I still have it too, and it would be an absolute INSULT to say there's "anything about a Colorado, that's related to an S10...yes the Colorado's ARE that much better! lol

SR

The red S10 I had, got sent down the road in 2012, when I bought the then new, Colorado.

I still have it too, and it would be an absolute INSULT to say there's "anything about a Colorado, that's related to an S10...yes the Colorado's ARE that much better! lol

SR
The small chevy truck, yeah that's what I meant :p.
I never saw the "s-10" :).

Once my wife finishes wearing out her Impala, she going to start driving the Colorado.

It might be a while yet though, she only has 235,000 miles on the Impala...

SR
Gotta love the Impalas. I am driving the wife's original '04. 217000 miles. Great car. Touches 30mpg regularly.
She has a '13 with 118000 miles. Hard to beat for the money!

Gotta love the Impalas. I am driving the wife's original '04. 217000 miles. Great car. Touches 30mpg regularly.
She has a '13 with 118000 miles. Hard to beat for the money!

My grandma just quit driving this summer. My dad is driving around her '04 now. It's got 45,000 miles on it and had never spent a night outside in it's life before he got it. I'm kinda jealous. It's a nice ride.

I put the splitter on my tractor today, and got set up to do some splitting of the oak my arborist friend gave me,

standard.jpg

I push everything through the 4-way wedge, and right out onto my splitters outfeed table, to easily be stacked into these half cord boxes, that I build,

standard.jpg

Once full, I can move the boxes to a drying area, using my loader tractor to do all the lifting/carrying. It goes pretty fast doing it this way...

SR

Back