Amsoil sabor or sthil ultra for hard working saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m probably jaded but I don’t use Amsoil. Every AO rep and employee I’ve come across has been so far past the “drink the koolaid” stage about their products that it’s ridiculous.

I use the Husky grey bottle in my ported saws and whatever is available in everything else. Right now I have one jug of premix from Stihl Ultra and the other has Husky black bottle oil.

I’ve shared this story a while back so I apologize if any of you have heard it.

I was at a destination wedding a couple years ago and one of AO’s marketing reps (a gal) was there. I was just making conversation with her and was mentioning I had a group of guys (this site) that discusses a lot of things relating to engine performance and there were a few things I didn’t understand about AO’s stance. She said she could put me in touch with one of their technical advisors but since we (the guys on this site) were “wrong” their rep could explain why we are wrong. No thanks.

FWIW the guys over on the the diesel truck forum weren't too big on AO.....again that was their 4 stroke stuff. I do not know if this is still the case but at least a few years ago AO was buying their base oil from one of the other manufacturers and adding a few extra things and charging 4 times the price. Then there was some marketing where they totally slammed the very same product that constitutes their base. So not sure if they are buying base from somewhere else for there 2T stuff as well?

no h1r love?

I used to use it, but found it finicky to tune. I also found chainsaws weren't under load enough for h1r to be used to it's full potential. It works great in my dads rc planes and choppers because they're WOT 24/7.

Was using Maxima Castor 927. Noticed buildup so quit using. Sucks cause I love the smell. Went to Maxima K2. Like it fine but probably moving away to something different. K2 doesn’t have enough dye in it for my liking.

Better?......i don’t know

Just as good as any others?.....likely

Will anything blow up if you use it 40/50:1....no

Not a very exciting opinion, but when oil questions came up (regularly) on a motorcycle forum, or in real life, I just say to Read The Fine Manual for the specs and find something that fits it. Unless you are a fleet operator of whatever equipment, you aren't going to gather enough info to make truly informed decisions.

If you use a lot of saws, trucks, whatever, sure, keep your own documentation and notice trends. "Normal people"? Just follow what the manufacturer says for a stock machine

Back