Could not believe it !!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Several years ago, one of my rarely seen neighbors (lots and lots of own property and cabins here that are visited once a year or less) left his Husqvarna out one winter. It sat there all winter. I use to walk by it every couple of weeks when I was out walking the dog in that direction, and thought "Still there". Don't know what every happened to it. I figure someone else probably moved it to a more discrete place for when, if ever, the owners ever visited again and thought to looked for it. I remember it as having the dullest chain I have ever seen. If the cutter were fully removed and just the rackers were in place it would probably cut as well. I mean what a POS that Husky was, and really small, I didn't know they made saws that small.

A guy in the Richmond VA area had a listing on Craigslist for a stihl 044 chainsaw for $100 , so im assuning it needed to be rebuilt or something major was wrong with it , well i drive a hour (one way ) to meet him. He gets the saw out , and i see that its complete with a 20 in bar and chain on it, its deff seen better days so I go ahead and fire it up and it starts on one pull idles fine oils , sounds great so I give him $100, could not believe i got a running 044 for a $100 , the chainsaw gods were looking down upon me today :)
This is sorta like a 14 lb bass.
Today was your lucky day, not likely to ever happen again.

We'll answer your questions...
From all the pics i seen and most of the reading i have done on the 044's, did some have the decomp valve and some did not? This saw does not have one, is there a reason they stopped putting them on , or did they not , and then started?

From all the pics i seen and most of the reading i have done on the 044's, did some have the decomp valve and some did not? This raw does not have one,

Yours looks like an early one, and they didn't have a compression release until around 1993-94.

The 044 came out in North America in 1988 I believe.

Yours looks like an early one, and they didn't have a compression release until around 1993-94.

The 044 came in North America in 1988 I believe.
Oh ok , i was not sure , since we bought this house with 2 wood stoves and 2 fireplaces , which is our main heat source , no central ac or heat , we burn a ton of wood and i been buying saws for the past couple years trying to find one i like and i just say my 029 super was the one i used the most for wood cutting , but this 044 is sweet , was out cutting with it for a couple hours today and its a major diffrence

Yes some did not have a DC valve, I am not sure you could buy an 044 17 years ago I am trying to remember when the ms 440 came out.
It does not seem to need it , i can pull it just fine and fires up one first or 2nd pull everytime

Latest posts

Back