Compression Testers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

A little word of warning. I brought a compression tester from my local car supplies store, 37 usd. Got it home and gave both saws a test (ms 180, one brand new one old but rebuilt).

The test came back 25psi on both. Clearly inaccurate readings. Took the tool apart, checked seals, connections and such and tried again. Nothing changed...

Returned it and paid 3x the amount for a kincrome one. The brand has never once let me down and it sure didn’t this time either.

The difference was of course build quality, but also, the kincrome one had two schrader valves. One in the 14mm male socket that goes into the plug hole and another right after it in the hose that goes into the 14mm socket. Instantly I got 180psi on new saw and 127 on old.

The cheap kit didn’t have a schrader valve in either the male 14mm plug or the hose. Instead just open throughout.

So after researching seems that they need to be there as close to the engine as possible.

So if you are looking for one, just something to check. No schrader valves there, don’t waste your time or money!

Hope this saves someone else the time I wasted!

2429A2A1-304A-4642-8E00-5D4AAB35946F.jpeg

I bought this one. Works great!

61US4vBChmL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/BETOOLL-HW01...1540579805&sr=8-2-spons&ref=sr_1_2_sspa&psc=1

my 50 yr old snap on has gotten a bit tired and could not find the cheapo harbor freight kit so i ordered a new OTC deluxe kit from amazon for something like 70 dollars and was expecting a quality made in usa tool like oTC has made for decades and was very disappointed that it was a made in china guage and kit that does not look much better than the one from harbour freight. I guess its snap on, mac, cornwell off the truck for quality mechanics tools from now on
Although the whia 1/4" drive 6" torx 27 socket I got online Is good quality

my 50 yr old snap on has gotten a bit tired and could not find the cheapo harbor freight kit so i ordered a new OTC deluxe kit from amazon for something like 70 dollars and was expecting a quality made in usa tool like oTC has made for decades and was very disappointed that it was a made in china guage and kit that does not look much better than the one from harbour freight. I guess its snap on, mac, cornwell off the truck for quality mechanics tools from now on
Although the whia 1/4" drive 6" torx 27 socket I got online Is good quality
Dont even expect that quality from the trucks anymore. A huge percentage of their stuff is made over seas these days too.

Any reviews of the one Bailey’s sells?

If I recall correctly, I typed in the part # on the Husqvarna branded version my saw mechanic uses, and was led to the Bailey’s version instead.

Thats exactly like the one I brought originally! Maybe I got a dud!
I bought a chain breaker/riveter off ebay and it was such a piece of crap, I made a video about it and put it on youtube to warn people off it. Turns out, lots of passionate owners got upset that I would bag out their beloved tool.
I think that you get good ones, and bad ones, of cheap tools. Sometimes you strike gold but that is rare. Probably much the same with this. Quality control is probably non-existent.

The saying goes, buy once, cry once. Or something like that, right?

Back