********WHAT AGE DID YOU FIRST START USING A CHAINSAW????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Late 20s. Bought the woodstove, asked my dad for a chainsaw to borrow. I don’t even remember what brand it was, but I wound up with a cheap husky, the a stihl 290, and now a cm 362. My kids have been asking me the same question.
On another note, this thread started in 2014. I actually remember when it came out, though I wasn’t called by the name im called by now. Anyway, I’ve learned a lot off this website

When I was 12 my Grandpa started letting me use "the little saw", a Stihl 015. A few months later he bought me my own saw, a Homelight XL2.

I bought my first saw at 15. We lived in a fairly urban area, grew up in a 4bed 2.5 bath house on a half an acre in a neighborhood. Once I could drive I went and scrounged wood, split and sold it.

I was 24 when I bought my first and only house out in the woods. My parents bought me a Husqvarna 261 chainsaw for Christmas. The saw is over 20 years old and still runs like brand new. It is the only saw I've owned and used.

As a 12 year old in the early 60's, I helped my Dad gather firewood for heating our greenhouses. We had access to an apple orchard and were cutting dead apple trees down, then cutting them to firewood size. Dad had an already pretty old Lancaster brand chainsaw. It was heavy, hard to start, and he probably never owned a sharp chain. He let me cut some of the downed trees into proper length. It was a right of passage, similar to when he got me a youth sized axe. Don't have any pictures of the saw. That would have been over 50 years ago. That saw is gone, as well as several saws since. And, now, Dad isn't up to starting a saw any longer, and though he could certainly operate one, he is more or less confined to the hydro handle on the splitter now on our firewood team!.

Logging B.jpg

Back