Stihl 028 plastic tank repair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmplec

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Anyone know a proven method of plastic tank repair. I have adopted 2 stihl 028 chainsaws where the original owner ran too long of a screw through the AV buffer into the fuel tank. Also wonder what type of cleaner would desolve the old rubber fuel line melted in the tank.

Could have sworn that was a mag tank. If it is plastic sometimes you can mend cracks with a soldering iron. Try soaking the tank with straight gas cut with naptha. In mag tanks I use white vinegar. It will look like alkaseltzer. soak it for about 30 minutes, rinse with water and then with mixed gas a couple times. Ive salvaged some pretty nasty saws that way and they look like new. Dont soak it to long or you may ruin it.

Only very early 028 had magnesium tanks.

If hole is not too big soldering iron method might work. If you had some junk saw plastic parts (fuel) tanks, might slice some of that up as "solder".

Make sure tank is rinsed of any fuel and vapors are gone

Only very early 028 had magnesium tanks.

If hole is not too big soldering iron method might work. If you had some junk saw plastic parts (fuel) tanks, might slice some of that up as "solder".

Make sure tank is rinsed of any fuel and vapors are gone
Yeah, don't go looking inside the tank with a lighter.......lol

Could have sworn that was a mag tank. If it is plastic sometimes you can mend cracks with a soldering iron. Try soaking the tank with straight gas cut with naptha. In mag tanks I use white vinegar. It will look like alkaseltzer. soak it for about 30 minutes, rinse with water and then with mixed gas a couple times. Ive salvaged some pretty nasty saws that way and they look like new. Dont soak it to long or you may ruin it.

The later 028's had plastic tanks. Earlier 028's had the mag tanks. I forget the time frame of the change.

Anyone know a proven method of plastic tank repair. I have adopted 2 stihl 028 chainsaws where the original owner ran too long of a screw through the AV buffer into the fuel tank. Also wonder what type of cleaner would desolve the old rubber fuel line melted in the tank.

Would it be possible to plug the hole in the fuel tank using a screw (and nut perhaps) with some fuel proof sealer?

If you have a small tip for your heat gun you can get some plastic welding rods and weld it closed. If you go that route you might want to practice on something fist so you get the feel for it and don't end up melting your tank.

I’ve fixed cracked tanks with seals all, don’t know about a hole though

I just hate to throw out the old one. Plus used tanks are $30 and up. I was wondering if PVC clear primer could be used to clean up the tank and the hole and then use PVC glue to glue a patch? The biggest problem I see is getting to the hole from inside the tank. I don’t think you could patch it from the outside because of the hole location also being where the tank mounts to the crankcase.

Latest posts

Back