Will a Supersplit have any trouble with rounds cut to 18" long

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sevensandeights

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm going to look at a used Supersplit this weekend. It is 2 years old but was only used one season - it's had about 40 cords through it. HD model with Honda engine.

I cut my wood to 18" long - will the Supersplit handle that? Rounds are usually between 8"-20" in diameter.

Current owner said it had a "bearing" fail but it was replaced under warranty. Also comes with a spare bearing. Anything specific I should look at?

Will be interesting to learn if the SS will do 18" OK. Really going to depend on the wood me thinks. It has inertia that it loses rather quickly, so it doesn't really keep driving through a round if it's tough wood. This makes me question if it's going the be a good fit for your 18" long rounds. Take a selection of rounds with you to try out.

Would be good to know which bearing failed.

Thanks for the replies - good to hear!

Any thoughts about what to look for when evaluating a used Supersplit? Seems like there was a recent post about this but I can't find it.

Would be good to know which bearing failed.

I'm assuming the carriage roller bearing based on everything I've read here. In addition the current owner mentioned that he learned to use WD40 on the bearing when operating the splitter in wet conditions.

I devised a way to grease the cam followers. I started a thread titled "not impressed" and iirc at the tail end of that thread I showed how I grease all the cam followers....

I haven't had a single issue with any of the bearings since and haven't had to resort to spray lubes.

sent from a field

It will have no trouble with 18 inch rounds. No trouble at all.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk
As a Supersplit owner I'm not so sure. Totally depends on the wood. The buyer should take rounds of the wood they typically see, when they go check the SS out.

As for things to look for:

1. flat spotted carriage lift bearing and associated track worn on top of beam
2. even gap in clearance between top of beam and carriage
3. minimal clearance between side of beam and carriage (check the beam side for wear too)
4. flywheel bearings are and have been greased with no play
5. carriage bearings rolling under the top edge of the beam are rolling freely (push down on carriage with one hand and try spinning each bearing with the other hand)
6. check for a wear lip on the underside of the top beam - if the carriage bearings are rolling rough or have been flat spotted there' be a ton of wear and a lip there
7. generally check the rack cycles easily
8. Look for grease on the gears of the pinion and also the underside of the rack. check for wear in the teeth of both rack and pinion.

I spray my roller bearing before each use and have a putty scraper I scrape the beam with periodically. Have no idea how many cords I have used mine for. Guessing somewhere between 60-80. Only thing I had an issue with is the stickers peeled off right away.

I split my wood as close to 24" as I can. Many logs have 1/2" between the ram and the log. I put on as big of wood as I can lift. The huge rounds you might have to flip and hit from the other side but other than that it doesn't have issues. Crotches and some elm I might have to hit a few times but I never run it at more than half throttle. Still love it even though there faults with it, as I believe there are no perfect splitters. I have the HD model with the Honda.

I process to 20” lengths. Some are 18”, others 22”. I’ve never had an issue with my regular J model. That’s in diameters as big as I can lift onto the beam. You could go up to full 24” lengths. Don’t listen to the naysayers who have likely never used a Supersplit, yet alone own one.

I process about 10" long and in some gum and also stringy woods it can struggle, even at 10" long. I've learned to be weary of old man pine, swamp kauri, some of the box gums. I'm guessing nobody up there has seen many of these species and perhaps there are in fact next to no species of such concern for you guys and gals.

I hear your point Kiwi, but seeing the OP is from PA, I’m guessing he is dealing with similar hardwoods to me here in MA. Oak, Maple, Hickory, Beech, Cherry, occasional Elm, etc. Thankfully no Aussie or New Zealand hard woods here.

Yes - maple, oak, beech, birch, cherry, and ash. I usually cut y-pieces/crotches out as I'm bucking and leave them in the woods - just not worth the time for minimal extra wood.

18"? All day long. I run a lot of red oak and a good bit of white oak which is a bit more stringy at times. If I can get the round on the machine, it is done. I've had 30"+ diameter on it..... Is it the right tool for the job at that size? Likely not. But you can pound nails with a rock.

Totally dependent on the specific wood.

Last weekend at our cottage I cut & split through 4 big maple trees that the power company took down a couple weeks ago (well, they took 3 & Dorian took the other one) - there is no way a SS would have got through some of that stuff, grain going everywhere in most of it.

Last weekend at our cottage I cut & split through 4 big maple trees that the power company took down a couple weeks ago (well, they took 3 & Dorian took the other one) - there is no way a SS would have got through some of that stuff, grain going everywhere in most of it.

I've thought that many times and I work my way through some nasty stuff. Next time I am splitting I'll try to remember to take some video. I've yet to find a piece I can't work through. Some of the splits ain't pretty but I don't like leaving forks or crotches in the woods cause they burn just fine. Most the nasty stuff I get is elm, sugar maple, or box elder. However I do agree with you that there are battles that probably are not worth the fight.

If the kinetic type splitters have trouble actually splitting the gnarly ones, from what I've seen, they just cut / slice the wood. Quite amazing.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Back