What chain ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satchmo1960

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am new to all this so sorry for the lame questions.....BUT..I have this MS261 and wanting a 18' bar and wondering what chain for this bar...
TsuMura 18" Guide Bar .325-063-74DL
Again sorry for lame questions

Well you need a .325 pitch, .063 gauge chain with 74 drive lengths. Then you need to determine if you want Stihl, Oregon, or other brand chain and which cutter type you want.

What kind of wood do you primarily cut? Are you cutting clean trees or logs that may have been skidded?
Pretty much clean wood...Firewood for home use...Oak,ash,maple and cherry mainly.

I would probably go with full chisel chain then versus semi chisel then but you cant go wrong with either. For reference: full chisel cuts faster, semi chisel cuts a bit slower but will stay sharp longer, especially in dirty/gritty wood.

I believe Stihl only makes .325 in semi chisel so you would want 26RM3-74
For Oregon you could use 22LPX-74 full chisel or 22BPX-74 semi chisel

You could also use a host of other chain manufacturers if you match the specs outlined in post #2

I would probably go with full chisel chain then versus semi chisel then but you cant go wrong with either. For reference: full chisel cuts faster, semi chisel cuts a bit slower but will stay sharp longer, especially in dirty/gritty wood.

I believe Stihl only makes .325 in semi chisel so you would want 26RM3-74
For Oregon you could use 22LPX-74 full chisel or 22BPX-74 semi chisel

You could also use a host of other chain manufacturers if you match the specs outlined in post #2

Don’t get RM3, RM or RS

I have a 261 and had to switch to a .050 chain because the chips were clogging up the bar rail groove and stopping the chain when cutting with the grain. It wasn't an issue with cross grain cutting but when I went to cut a round into quarters it would clog up almost immediately. Works great with the .050 gauge chain. I suspect you could run ether and be ok.

Latest posts

Back