A little chain education please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loadthestove

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just acquired an 18 inch husky saw with a bad chain.went to ttactor supply and got an18 inch chain that's to long
Mine has 72 links ,the one I bought has 68 but its longer than mine,
I have always went to a local saw shop(mom and pop style)and told the owner I need a chain and would hand him my old one to match up
He's retired and business is closed so that option is out.
Both chains are 3\8 so I got that part right.
Wonder if the new one is boxed wrong.according to application list on packaging it's supposed to fit my saw
20190925_191803.jpg 20190925_182509.jpg 20190925_190818.jpg

The circled emblem on the bar indicates it is narrow kerf .325 nk. H30 as Harley mentioned. Oregon txl is non safety chain. Husky sp33g is the latest and greatest(?).
I ordered a loop of that sp33 for my 545. It cuts good. I haven't sharpened it yet but I like it so far.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

The chain you bought might be 3/8 but yours is .325 and you have a narrow kerf bar like stated above. You can use a regular width chain on a narrow kerf bar with most saws, but there are exceptions, example: 550xp

I went back and checked my chain again using my digital caliper,yep it's
.325,the sprocket is in good condition with little wear.
Don't have a husky dealer anywhere close by other than the box store that sells them.
Just have to go back and get the correct chain

Thanks for the help

The chain you bought might be 3/8 but yours is .325 and you have a narrow kerf bar like stated above. You can use a regular width chain on a narrow kerf bar with most saws, but there are exceptions, example: 550xp

Don't try that with stihl 0.050 3/8', and stihl 0.050 3/8" picco/lopro. Drivers don't match up sprockets

Those are two different things entirely.

Yes. The Stihl 3/8" chains have same pitch but, chain chassis are different, so sprockets don't match

So is the husky chain mentioned a narrow kerf , and narrow gauge? And/or is the chain chassis different from regular 0.325" pitch? That is would a regular 0.325 pitch 0.050 chain fit?

That is would a regular 0.325 pitch 0.050 chain fit?

A regular .325 chain will fit unless there is a clearance issue that ammoaddict mentioned.

However, regular chain will lay over in an NK bar with a worn groove when an NK chain will continue to work fine. You have to wiggle the saw to get the chain to bite. No amount of dressing will help. That's my experience, anyway.

So is the husky chain mentioned a narrow kerf , and narrow gauge? And/or is the chain chassis different from regular 0.325" pitch? That is would a regular 0.325 pitch 0.050 chain fit?
It is 0.050 gauge, the drive links are thinned where they fit into the bar. Splicing parts are different. Lighter chassis, 55cc vs 62cc last I studied Oregon PDF files.

Yes. The Stihl 3/8" chains have same pitch but, chain chassis are different, so sprockets don't match

The Husqvarna is narrow kerf. It's still .050, the drivers are the same width. The chain links or chassis as you call it are narrower.

Back