How many pieces of wood in a cord?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should have known! :bang: I don't have one of those bingodaubers yet. Maybe I need to get one so that I don't get too many BTUs because my wood is too long!

I bet all of the splits are the same size too. :D

Splits? I cut all of my wood on a modified radial arm saw, that helps keep everything consistent and I can stack my wood very tightly, which cuts down on the air voids and makes calculating my burn times easier using the spreadsheet and a special slide rule I have been developing specifically for the purpose.

A friend of mine asked me "about how many pieces of wood are there in a cord"? I've never thought about it or bothered counting .I know the number would vary depending on how large or small the pieces are, but what do you think the average is?

I know this is an old post but I have to agree with Scott. It goes without saying that the answer will vary depending on the woods dimensions and how it's stacked; however, theoretically, if each piece was 4" x 4" x 16" stacked side by side and end to end (so that there are 12 rows on the bottom and 12 rows on the top which is very unstable), you'd have 1,152 pieces of firewood in a cord. Scott's estimate is very close which is why I agree with him.

How many pieces of wood in a full cord ?

The biggest question is , Green or dried ? Believe it or not , a stacked cord of green wood dried down to 15 - 20 % moisture content will shrink roughly 8 %.

I agree. I make stacks 4 foot - 6" to account for shrinkage during drying.

Hi, It all depends on how big or how small the pieces are split to and what size the pieces are cut to. Our firewood averages about 600 pieces per cord that's cut into 16" lengths.

Back