Amsoil sabor or sthil ultra for hard working saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's change it up. What brand of fuel do you like to mix with your oil? I only use Marathon e-free recreational gas from Charlie's on 4 mile road. It is the best fuel you can purchase.:cheers:

The gas around here is junk, too many problems with running the ethanol gas around here. I've had carburetors get destroyed in just a couple months of setting with the ethanol around here. A few places advertise 100% Ethanol Free gas, and yes that is true I guess, but instead of Ethanol they put Methanol. The only clean gas around here is 100LL, unless I want to drive for a couple hours, or buy the $80 5 gal can of VP, so the 100LL is what I use, and It doesn't go bad very easy. My lawn Mower starts fine in the spring, and runs great, and I don't have to do anything to it for the winter months I don't use it. They say such high octane can lower the HP of chainsaws, weed eaters, mowers and such because of the lower compression, but If it does, its not a noticeable enough difference to me to not use it. I think the 100LL is GREAT!!!

oil_thread_popcorn.jpg

Does anybody know how much solvents is in Amsoil? If some oils have a lot of solvent they may need to run richer ratios than an oil with little or no solvents. Amsoil Saber my have less solvent thus the higher ratios.

Here's what happens when you run Stihl Ultra.
I've seen this a number of times.
The carbon isn't the worst part. It wouldn't run because low compression, it blew 90 pounds on my gauge. You can see the gap between the ring land and the bottom of the ring... it wore the ring out.
This is a low hour unit.20190822_172949.jpg20190822_173549.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Here's what happens when you run Stihl Ultra.
I've seen this a number of times.
The carbon isn't the worst part. It wouldn't because low compression, it blew 90 pounds on my gauge. You can see the gap between the ring land and the bottom of the ring... it wore the ring out.
This is a low hour unit.View attachment 761830View attachment 761831

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That looks like more than just carbon from bad oil IMHO. I've seen very high hour equipment. Did they have buildup? absolutely, but nothing like that, especially considering how new that saw looks.[emoji111]

That looks like more than just carbon from bad oil IMHO. I've seen very high hour equipment. Did they have buildup? absolutely, but nothing like that, especially considering how new that saw looks.[emoji111]
Hello Andre'
Yes it is a low hour unit, 2 actually. They are both Stihl BG-56 blower.
They were both bought a little less than a year ago, the pistons, carbon and exhaust screen look identical.
I know the gentleman that brought them to me and mixes the fuel 50:1 using Stihl Ultra and uses 91 octane non ethanol. I trust/believe him.
I really think that Ultra oil is that bad...
I've seen it several times.

Hello Andre'
Yes it is a low hour unit, 2 actually. They are both Stihl BG-56 blower.
They were both bought a little less than a year ago, the pistons, carbon and exhaust screen look identical.
I know the gentleman that brought them to me and mixes the fuel 50:1 using Stihl Ultra and uses 91 octane non ethanol. I trust/believe him.
I really think that Ultra oil is that bad...
I've seen it several times.
I've seen bad fuel cause as much or more carbon buildup than just the oil alone.
Some pump fuel is really bad these days, regulations have been lacking the past few years. Just a thought, if the spark arrestor gets clogged quick, maybe that's having an affect on exhaust flow causing carbon to stick to the exhaust port. I personally just don't see Ultra doing that, especially that quickly.

One reason could be the flashpoint of the HP Ultra. (depending on the source) 222°C-254°C (that`s over 450°F). These blowers make not so mutch rpms BG 56 (6800 rpm with nozzle) and therefore they burn inside the engine not so hot like a chainsaw with 14.000 rpm. Also the condition of the filters, the used fuel and tuning of the carburetor can have an effect on this.

I've seen bad fuel cause as much or more carbon buildup than just the oil alone.
Some pump fuel is really bad these days, regulations have been lacking the past few years. Just a thought, if the spark arrestor gets clogged quick, maybe that's having an affect on exhaust flow causing carbon to stick to the exhaust port. I personally just don't see Ultra doing that, especially that quickly.
Also just not running things like blowers and trimmers at 3/4 throttle will increase the amount of carbon

Does that BG 56 use M-Tronic by any chance? I have an M-Tronic brush saw that would foul up spark screens like that when brand new; dealer eventually told me a complete 'factory reset' fixed it but I suspect they swapped out the control unit. Have heard there was a recall on some of them, dunno. Not a good dealer, knew very little about M-Tronic systems. Even with the saw now working great (HP Ultra + rec gas, always), it fouled up a plug instantly when I tried a can of non-Stihl pre-mix one blizzardy day last winter.

One solution has been to run without a spark screen, at the suggestion of heavy users of my model of saw in Canada.

I am just a student of these things, but to me, all that sludge doesn't look like the fault of the choice of mix oil.

Does that BG 56 use M-Tronic by any chance? I have an M-Tronic brush saw that would foul up spark screens like that when brand new; dealer eventually told me a complete 'factory reset' fixed it but I suspect they swapped out the control unit. Have heard there was a recall on some of them, dunno. Not a good dealer, knew very little about M-Tronic systems. Even with the saw now working great (HP Ultra + rec gas, always), it fouled up a plug instantly when I tried a can of non-Stihl pre-mix one blizzardy day last winter.

One solution has been to run without a spark screen, at the suggestion of heavy users of my model of saw in Canada.

I am just a student of these things, but to me, all that sludge doesn't look like the fault of the choice of mix oil.
No only chainsaws have the m tronic for the sthil line

I would use the orange bottle before i used ultra.

They used to have a semi synthetic in a black bottle called HP Super. It had an FD certification but not sure why they quit selling it in the US. It’s still available in Europe.

I would use the orange bottle before i used ultra.

They used to have a semi synthetic in a black bottle called HP Super. It had an FD certification but not sure why they quit selling it in the US. It’s still available in Europe.
Castrol makes the oil for Stihl in most other countries, seems a lot better than the offerings we have from Omni.

M-Tronic has been in the large clearing saws for about 5 years now, not just chainsaws.

I can’t say I am a fan of that thimble design spark arrestor. The opening size in the mesh is so much smaller than what I am used to on Husqy chainsaws, seems ambitious to try and push all the exhaust through it and seems like it can all too easily soon begin to restrict the exhaust.

I doubt I will ever put one back in my FS 560. I keep a brand new one on hand in case USFS ever calls me out on it, as spark arrestors are required in their contracts.

The owner of that leaf blower might could try running without it if the yards involved aren’t full of tinder dry material.

Back