Dolmar 5105 issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Red Oaks 4 me

Fun with flying wood chips
Reaction score
07017996-4F17-4834-B834-E61083A5DFAD.jpeg D1F054AE-DB47-4F46-B30F-E013796172DB.jpeg I picked this saw up this morning from an older lady who recently lost her husband. She was trying to sell it, and called me. She said that it ran a “couple days ago”. I can’t get it to even pop! It has 140psi compression, came with the carrying case and tool pouch, along with a new chain. I switched spark plugs and even put some fuel under the plug, with no results. Thinking maybe a coil issue. I had planned on keeping this for a smaller saw and maybe selling one of my bigger huskys, but damn!

Those saws are extremely easy to flood, and don't like to start afterward. Pull the plug "clean it up", flip the saw upside down, pull it over vigorously, blow some compressed air in the cylinder. Now try restarting with the throttle held wide open. If it pops a little but won't go, you can that try the choke. These saws are pretty quiet, so It's really easy to not hear the saw first fire, which makes them real easy to flood.

140 is low for that saw, but it should definitely run.

"Those saws are extremely easy to flood, and don't like to start afterward"

My 7910 does not seem to have that problem, is that because of my routines or what?

"Those saws are extremely easy to flood, and don't like to start afterward"

My 7910 does not seem to have that problem, is that because of my routines or what?
That's a part of it, the super quite exhaust and how crazy smooth the engine is makes it worse. The carbs are also a bit finicky.

The 5100/5105 is the smoothest single piston saw I've ever ran, but it's not one of my favorite 50cc models.

That's a part of it, the super quite exhaust and how crazy smooth the engine is makes it worse. The carbs are also a bit finicky.

The 5100/5105 is the smoothest single piston saw I've ever ran, but it's not one of my favorite 50cc models.

Why not ?

My favorite is a H445, it is compact, feels good, starts easy, does the job and it looks good.

Yes.
I keep flooding the thing by cranking when it's off.
My 353 goes in the on position automaticly by pulling the choke.
Hard habbit to quit.
But the 79cc and high compression makes it a pita to start when flooded.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies! I did what Andy suggested, and it did run. I also had some Seafoam in the fuel, and that didn’t help. It ran pretty good. I pulled the carb limiters off,so now I need to know what the suggested low and high settings should be. Thanks!!

Thanks for the replies! I did what Andy suggested, and it did run. I also had some Seafoam in the fuel, and that didn’t help. It ran pretty good. I pulled the carb limiters off,so now I need to know what the suggested low and high settings should be. Thanks!!

You need to find that out yourself, that's a part of the threat package. Look for carburetor tuning in this forum - I could tell you what I know but what difference would that make?

Why not ?

My favorite is a H445, it is compact, feels good, starts easy, does the job and it looks good.
Many many reliability problems "especially early on" it doesn't handle well, the carbs were total junk "I hear they're better now" poor air filter and it's bit of a block. I'm a Huge Dolmar fan, especially the 7900, however the 5100 just wasn't on the same level of the 7900, or other top of the line 50cc saws.[emoji111]

Many many reliability problems "especially early on" it doesn't handle well, the carbs were total junk "I hear they're better now" poor air filter and it's bit of a block. I'm a Huge Dolmar fan, especially the 7900, however the 5100 just wasn't on the same level of the 7900, or other top of the line 50cc saws.[emoji111]
It all depends on what you want it for.

Is the saw running good? accelerating quickly and smoothly? If so leave the L for now.

I have had no reliability problems with the 445 what so ever, it handles extremely well, I wonder who told you those things - is that you personal experience or the Stihl prophets lobby renunion confession?

I have had no reliability problems with the 445 what so ever, it handles extremely well, I wonder who told you those things - is that you personal experience or the Stihl prophets lobby renunion confession?
I've had many of them and worked on many of them. Early on they were very unreliable, many were DOA right out of the box, sometimes even missing small components. Good news is Dolmar redesigned many of the components over the years so now they're actually fairly reliable, they're just better options in the 50cc saw market. It is a great value though no doubt.

I've had many of them and worked on many of them. Early on they were very unreliable, many were DOA right out of the box, sometimes even missing small components. Good news is Dolmar redesigned many of the components over the years so now they're actually fairly reliable, they're just better options in the 50cc saw market. It is a great value though no doubt.

So the H445 is now house stained free, but you personally reject it as "not good enough" because you are just "better"?

Latest posts

Back