Amsoil sabor or sthil ultra for hard working saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to use Still Ultra 50:1 and I was a little surprised how much carbon buildup that was on top of the piston on my MS290, it wasn't really bad, but it was more than I thought there should be. A few months ago I got a Gal of the Amsoil Sabor, So far I like it, haven't used much of it. It was cheaper than buying a gal of Sthil Ultra. It must be good stuff if people run it with such low ratios, I won't run anything of mine with those ratios, so far I've been running it at 40:1 with 100LL fuel, everything starts great, runs great, and have had no problems. I don't think there's anything wrong with the Sthil Ultra, but for a better price per gal for a premium oil, I think the Sabor is better.

If you don’t like carbon build up you are going to hate the lead bromine that builds up on everything from the high lead content. You can run 100ll, but most us pilots are trying to get away from it, due to it causing issues with all the lead residue deposited throughout the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Castro have a full syn 2t oil called 'GO' or something, it has similar specs to Ultra FB rated, high flash point of 193° etc. But how important is flash point when brought right down diluted with gas. My concern would be the ash content. Problem is we want a mix thats suitable for high rpm saws and then use that same mix in our low rpm blowers. This thread prompted me to clean my blower exhaust port, I usually do it every 6ish months. And always there is a build up of carbon, but not near as bad as the posted pics in this thread, but its there & more than i like to see. I wonder how an ashless boat oil would do made for water cooled 2T's. I run Shell VSX semi FC @40:1. The FD rated Stihl oil called HP-super? was a decent oil (not sure if it was sold in the US), it was semi-synth and burned well. Blowers like BG56/86 will build carbon if not tuned well and run at full throttle. Oil makes a huge difference, were talking under 7500rpm under load so temps are low. I am not sure why Stihl think its a good idea to arm near every customer with a 6-pack of Ultra when buying new equipment for a warranty extension. Its totally not suitable for their blowers to say the least.

on a serious note i believe , use your favorite oil , mix it correctly , use fresh non-ethanol fuel , ethanol free may not apply to all if the fuel is used quickly , most all users will have little to no problems , part of the experience for ME anyway running two stroke products, (soon no doubt to be expired enjoy while you can) is sound , and smell , which for me mean's no matter how excellent the oil is for lubrication , i will not use it if i don't like the smell ....to each there own ...;)

What was bouncing around in that cylinder? Chunks of oil?
Yup pretty much. The piston and cylinder are spotless underneath all of that flaking off carbon. If it was really thin I wouldn't have thought anything about it, but it was pushing .010 to .015" thick

Hm... I used HP Ultra as a cutting oil yesterday. It worked pretty well.

I use Ultra in FS 130 4-Mixes without problem, and they run 8,500 RPM WFO. Same with BR600s and a BG85. Same mix as my saws at 50:1. I just run them hard.

I don’t know why that much buildup occurred.

Back