Why we hate to borrow a saw.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"So, the next day i go pick up a new bar & 2 Stihl skip chains for the 440 mag. Yes i made him pay for them, the penality for letting his "handy man" use his saw. I told him to go buy a Wild Thing for the handy man as he should never be allow in the same room with the 440 again."

This is what makes you a friend. I have bought a few new tools for myself along the way, so I have a good reason to give the old to one of my friends. If I stop you from banging your head on the wall, its not because I like the wall.

My saws when borrowed come with operator. If they need my saws then they prolly don't have the experience to run em. Took a tree out for a friend and his family got phsyced about saws they went out bought a 180. He works with my wife and tells her one day it stopped cutting she asks couple questions he tells her he had been rototilling rhodies out with it and was suprised when the wife told him you should never run your chain into the ground. :dizzy:

You know, i don't really know how i bent it. I did a search, & tighning it down when the indexing pin is not in the hole is one way. Pinching the bar in a cut & yanking on it is another. I must have done one of the above......but i ain't admitting to it................speak to my attorney....................:(

RD

If I stop you from banging your head on the wall, its not because I like the wall.
I like that expression. Being a Texan, I'm always on the lookout for a good one. I think I'll have to use that sometime, with your permission, of course.

As far as bending the tensioner, I think I remember some mention in Parp's book of bending it simply by applying too much torque to the screw itself. Seems to me like the little thing might strip first, but I've never bent one, so what do I know? :buttkick:

One simple rule, I never lend out equipment. If Im asked nicely ill do a favour but its me that will be using the saw.

You know, i don't really know how i bent it. I did a search, & tighning it down when the indexing pin is not in the hole is one way. Pinching the bar in a cut & yanking on it is another. I must have done one of the above......but i ain't admitting to it................speak to my attorney....................:(

RD
Once , just once, I messed up the side tension gears on my Sthil 029.
I was cutting and the chain loosened. Then I realized the bar buts nuts were not tight enough. I had to replace the whole system. A friend had a chain jump but not totally off. Just part way out of the bar groove. It was a small saw. When he loosened the bar nuts the small tension gears stripped.
I saw that. I recommended first gently try to back off the side tension only a speck. Slowly loosen the bar nuts and test tension screw to relieve the pressure but DON'T force. By working the bar nuts and tension together thats never happened again. Wisdom is learning what DON'T work by hard earned experience. Then when we finally learn what does work if we remember the things that didn't work we are wiser. It doesn't happen overnight and there is a difference between a wise old man and just an old fool. Sadly there are to many old fools that keep forgetting what don't work and make the same mistakes over and over. Chainsaws aren't as forgivng as playing music. Thankfully, I still have all my body parts. Guess I'll have to go practice the Piano before I forget.

I just say when I needed a saw I bought one because I didn't want to pay to rent one.
That is how some people make a living selling chain saws and have good service employes to fix them.
Others have several saws and rent them for a itinal fee as insurance and then so much a hours charge.
Many of them also hire people to repair them.

I do neither sell saws or rent saws and do not hire others to repair mine.

If it ticks them off and no longer want to be friends fine with me. As the old adage says neither be a borrower nor a lender.

:D Al

I just say when I needed a saw I bought one because I didn't want to pay to rent one.
That is how some people make a living selling chain saws and have good service employes to fix them.
Others have several saws and rent them for a itinal fee as insurance and then so much a hours charge.
Many of them also hire people to repair them.

I do neither sell saws or rent saws and do not hire others to repair mine.

If it ticks them off and no longer want to be friends fine with me. As the old adage says neither be a borrower nor a lender.

:D Al
I fully agree. However, don't always believe that the dealer has competent help. I've recently left my once 5 star dealer over his sorry ass help. When someone asks to borrow a tool I ask you them what happened to THEIR tool. If they say, I broke mine, or I lost mine then I reply, if you broke or lost yours and didn't replace your own tool how can I trust you with mine? They never ask again. Now I bend a bit with family but NO power tools. I've taken to making family sign for hammers, garden hoses, wrenches and etc. My one Son In Law never brings a tool home unless I say, bring it back today. They say the old Eskimo once sai, sleep with my wife but leave my sled and dogs alone.

What I hate is people who want to borrow your saw. This is why I kept the poulan, so they don't get to use my good saws.
I hear that, no one touches the 3 :)
I have others like poulan for use, even a chicom 50cc as well.

Actually I think lending anyone a poulan 3314 (strato) is IMO a **** move.... lol

I hear that, no one touches the 3 :)
I have others like poulan for use, even a chicom 50cc as well.

Actually I think lending anyone a poulan 3314 (strato) is IMO a **** move.... lol
Last year I gave a guy a load of bucked oak. He arrived pulling a Trailer. I told him I'd drop the tree and if he wanted he could help remove limbs. Used the Echo cs590 to drop. Cranked one smaller Echo and started cutting limbs. His helper fell behind so he began pulling limbs. After I bucked the tree I noticed a Poulan 42cc in the back of his truck. Turns out after seeing the Echo's he was embarrassed to use his Poulan. Poor guy.

I don’t like lending anything out and borrowing anything. I learnt my lesson once I borrowed a tool and broke it. I ended up buying two one to replace the tool I borrowed and one for me to finish the job.
Don’t even think about borrowing my chainsaws, forget about it.
I refused to loan out my log splitter, if they get hurt there’s a liability problem I could get sued.

Seems like every time I borrowed something I had to fix it before I used it and every time I loaned someone something it came back broke. I have learned it's best not to Loan or Borrow.

Wife worked for a company that sold heavy equipment, owner was always willing to loan me equipment. He would buy used equipment or take it in on trade and sometimes it would just show up at my shop and he would say use it and see what needs fixed. I would check it out, send him a parts list, and replace the things like belts, hoses, hydraulic lines, fan clutches, valves and such. I would steam clean the equipment and sometimes paint it. Anything mayor he would carry it to his main shop to fix. In the trade I would use the equipment, worked out good for him and me. He got free work done and I got free work done. If I ever needed a Bulldozer or Front end loader for a job all I had to do is call and he would deliver one, sometimes a brand new one, and it wouldn't cost me a dime. It was a relationship that worked out well for all.

Seems like every time I borrowed something I had to fix it before I used it and every time I loaned someone something it came back broke. I have learned it's best not to Loan or Borrow.

Wife worked for a company that sold heavy equipment, owner was always willing to loan me equipment. He would buy used equipment or take it in on trade and sometimes it would just show up at my shop and he would say use it and see what needs fixed. I would check it out, send him a parts list, and replace the things like belts, hoses, hydraulic lines, fan clutches, valves and such. I would steam clean the equipment and sometimes paint it. Anything mayor he would carry it to his main shop to fix. In the trade I would use the equipment, worked out good for him and me. He got free work done and I got free work done. If I ever needed a Bulldozer or Front end loader for a job all I had to do is call and he would deliver one, sometimes a brand new one, and it wouldn't cost me a dime. It was a relationship that worked out well for all.

Not quite apples to apples, you paid for the use. Only you paid with labor and maybe some parts. That’s more like renting than borrowing.

A complete saw plan includes a refurbed tip-saw you brought home from the local waste dump, put a fuel line in & sharpened the chain. That's the saw you lend out. When someone wants to borrow a tool from me, I choose not them.

A complete saw plan includes a refurbed tip-saw you brought home from the local waste dump, put a fuel line in & sharpened the chain. That's the saw you lend out. When someone wants to borrow a tool from me, I choose not them.

I don't lend, I go cut what they want cut. If it a BIG job, go buy your own saw.

Back